GM's on the trade market...

TradeAngelos

I am sure this won't stop the 10 threads/1000 posts a day on the subject but....

http://fullcount.weei.com/

When presented the problems by the media following his team?s 6-2 loss the Rangers, Dombrowski offered a dose of reality.

?The thing you have to remember is that you have two clubs to make a deal, and most clubs, as I?ve said all along and it hasn?t changed whatsoever, really are not prepared to move towards 2017 and be in a position where they?re willing to move,? he said. ?There are probably five clubs that have been looking at that all year long, and I think those five clubs are the ones that remain.?

Dombrowski added, ?It?s still early. I can tell you I?ve done a great deal of work and there?s five clubs that are willing to talk about it, and it?s the same five clubs who have been at it all year. So it?s still a little early for that type of situation. We?ll see what happens.?

If you think the Red Sox president of baseball operations is alone in his thinking, he?s not. Just ask another general manager who finds himself in a similar situation.

?In this market, there?s not a lot of pitching, in general,? said Rangers GM Jon Daniels. ?That dove-tails with the free agent market being as weak as it?s going to be. There just aren?t a lot of top guys who are scheduled to have their contract expire this year. We?ll see who ultimately comes available, but from our standpoint we have to get our guys healthy. We?re not going to have anybody than our own guys who are coming back.?

Sound familiar?

The lesson to be learned is right now there aren?t a lot of teams who are ready to move on from 2016, and those who are don?t have a whole lot to offer.

Last year, there was a bevy of high-end pitching trade targets whose contracts were ready to run out at season?s end. And there were even some, like Cole Hamels, whose contract still had some length but were clearly made available.

Even then the deals made before the last week of July were few and far between.

Guys like Pomeranz, Hill, Teheran, and Hellickson (among others) will be available now or in the next 3-4 weeks. It's just that none of those guys are on the level of a Lester or Price like the last few years. And teams are going to want a lot back for those guys, all of whom have marginal track records. It'll be interesting to see who blinks.

Guys like Pomeranz, Hill, Teheran, and Hellickson (among others) will be available now or in the next 3-4 weeks. It's just that none of those guys are on the level of a Lester or Price like the last few years. And teams are going to want a lot back for those guys, all of whom have marginal track records. It'll be interesting to see who blinks.

I think a lot of teams are just going to keep their eyes closed.

This idea that the Red Sox are surely going to get a huge upgrade, so we have to too if off base IMO. The upgrades, if any are going to be minimal at best.

Agreed, the guys I mentioned would probably help us, but only because Jimenez has been so terrible and Wright, Gallardo, and to a lesser extent Wilson have been so up and down. I wouldn't pay a premium for any of them, and I don't really think any of them are that much better than the other. At least Hellickson has pitched in the AL East before with moderate success. But I agree, if those GM's hold out for a King's ransom - pass.

Teheran has a marginal track record?

His 2015 was average at best after an excellent 2014. This year looks like he's back on track and on the way to his best season so far. Braves managed to get Dansby Swanson for Shelby Miller. Shutter to think what they'd want for Teheran.

Of the names mentioned, Hellickson would be least expensive, though, I don't know how much better he is than Wilson or Gallardo.

Rich Hill has been a revelation, but I don't know what the A's can expect in return for a 36 year old starter who has produced 15 quality starts in a decade. Makes me think of the haul the Mets commanded for RA Dickey that certainly gives Blue Jay fans nightmares.

I think a lot of teams are just going to keep their eyes closed.

This idea that the Red Sox are surely going to get a huge upgrade, so we have to too if off base IMO. The upgrades, if any are going to be minimal at best.

I agree. We have a great shot at winning the division with what we have. That means that a trade needs to have the playoffs in mind and none of the guys available appear to be anything close to a guy like Price.

Fair enough, in his case, you could say relatively short track record. Point is, it's not a slam dunk that he comes over to the AL and has the same success. I also don't trust NL guys that come over to the AL. Seen too many of them blow up.

Of the names mentioned, Hellickson would be least expensive, though, I don't know how much better he is than Wilson or Gallardo.

Rich Hill has been a revelation, but I don't know what the A's can expect in return for a 36 year old starter who has produced 15 quality starts in a decade. Makes me think of the haul the Mets commanded for RA Dickey that certainly gives Blue Jay fans nightmares.

Right, this is the issue. We can either give up significant value for a marginal upgrade, as in the first option. Not that appealing. Or we can give up the entire farm, which, considering the state of our system, may not actually be enough, for an actual upgrade, which also isn't that appealing. Go with what we got, I think.

Fair enough, in his case, you could say relatively short track record. Point is, it's not a slam dunk that he comes over to the AL and has the same success. I also don't trust NL guys that come over to the AL. Seen too many of them blow up.

I mean, 700+ IP of 3.23 ERA ball and 116 ERA+, 3.83 FIP, 1.140 WHIP, 7.8 H/9, 1.1 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, 7.9 SO/9.

I'll take him every single time. And he's only 25.

I mean, 700+ IP of 3.23 ERA ball and 116 ERA+, 3.83 FIP, 1.140 WHIP, 7.8 H/9, 1.1 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, 7.9 SO/9.

I'll take him every single time. And he's only 25.

In a division without a lot of strong offenses. Look, I'm not saying he's bad, just that he's most likely not worth what it would take to get him. And that we probably don't have the chips to get it done even if it was thought to be worth it.

If other teams aren't upgrading' date=' I think we are okay. But if they start...[/quote']

If there is someone out there that you like and can get at the right price, I think you have to go for it. Otherwise, that player is going to be gone and maybe to Boston or Toronto.

Archived