Breaking: Dylan Bundy Starts On Sunday 7/17 In Tampa Bay

OFFNY

He also put five guys on base and threw 56 pitches. And it was one outing!

We're also talking about a guy who hasn't thrown 60 pitches in a game since 2014.

This is a mistake all around.

60 pitches on Sunday. 80 in the next game. 95 after that. I don't see the problem.

He's gotta be built up at some point. 2014 was two years ago.

If he doesn't respond well they can move him back to the bullpen.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you rather start Ubaldo and then bring Dylan in down 6-0 in the second inning? He will be on a pitch limit probably in somewhere in the 60's. That may get you 3 or 4 innings, maybe into the 5th if all goes well. I think Bundy has recovered. How many innings is good for him to pitch no one has the exact answer. I think Buck has had this in mind for a while now when he started putting Dylan in games with 4 or 5 days rest. If he gives us 10 starts averaging 5-6 innings then I think you couldn't ask for anymore. Whether then he could pitch in the post season well you tackle that when it gets there. We need to get there first. The Red Sox have added Pomeranz to their rotation. The Orioles have added Bundy without giving up anyone. Lets see which is a better move.

If you think throwing a guy that's just now starting to bounce back (and who wasn't supposed to start at all this year) into the rotation on a whim is going to be a better move than adding Drew Pomeranz, you're delusional.

60 pitches on Sunday. 80 in the next game. 95 after that. I don't see the problem.

He's gotta be built up at some point. 2014 was two years ago.

If he doesn't respond well they can move him back to the bullpen.

If he doesn't respond well they could break him again, this time for good.

Might just be a little test for him. I can't imagine he goes more than 4 innings/75 pitches, but maybe they just want to see how he looks in that role. I don't take it as a sign that he is going to be installed into the rotation for the rest of the season or anything. It seems to me this is as good a time as any to give him a little test.

I agree with you, 4 innings and 75 pitches, almost like a ST game.

If he doesn't respond well they could break him again, this time for good.

That is a possibility with or without the innings limit.

We are not talking about 200 innings. This is not a Mark Prior situation. Build up the pitch county slowly and see how he responds.

That is a possibility with or without the innings limit.

We are not talking about 200 innings. This is not a Mark Prior situation. Build up the pitch county slowly and see how he responds.

Don't focus on numbers like 200 innings. We're talking about a guy who hasn't topped 40 in a season since 2012.

o

One thing that I am thrilled about is the fact that Bundy has evolved this season from being an obstacle on the roster/pitcher that was only here out of necessity (due to his being out of options) to being an absolute must member of the bullpen.

As I said before, if this is a one-time thing, I am OK with it ...... but if the Orioles are indeed planning on keeping him in the rotation on a regular basis, I hope that it doesn't wind up being a case of them going to the well once too often/pushing their luck with a top-prospect pitcher that has come such a long way back since his injury.

Oh don't argue semantics. You know what I mean. The guy is still bouncing back. They had a plan, and for a reason. Why push him and risk a potential setback?

They've already been extremely cautious with him in the first half of the season. How is letting him start a game, get a feel for it at the major league level, still restrict his pitch count, going to hurt his progression. It doesn't matter what innings he pitches, if his pitch count is still restricted

Oh don't argue semantics. You know what I mean. The guy is still bouncing back. They had a plan, and for a reason. Why push him and risk a potential setback?

Yes, they had a plan and have stayed the course.

So they throw him 4 or 5 innings, if he is able?

I do not see this a huge risk.

You think, they want his arm ruined forever?

They've already been extremely cautious with him in the first half of the season. How is letting him start a game, get a feel for it at the major league level, still restrict his pitch count, going to hurt his progression. It doesn't matter what innings he pitches, if his pitch count is still restricted

I noted earlier that I'd be fine with that. But if they're running him out there simply because they have no other options and are hoping for a cheap savior, it's a mistake.

Yes, they had a plan and have stayed the course.

So they throw him 4 or 5 innings, if he is able?

I do not see this a huge risk.

You think, they want his arm ruined forever?

They certainly seem to be deviating from it, now.

From Connolly, posted yesterday:

"As he moves through this season building up his arm endurance, however, he said he doesn’t expect to enter the Orioles’ rotation soon. He doesn’t think it’s practical yet.

“I’m only up to three innings. You’ve got to be able to go five, six, seven as a starter in the big leagues. So I think we can just put it out of the question right now,” Bundy said before the Orioles left for the All Star Break. “But that’s not my decision. That’s up to them and I’m going to keep doing my bullpen role, which is throwing three innings at a time right now.”

So how long before he's not bouncing back anymore. Eventually the training wheels gotta come off.

Archived