Breaking: Dylan Bundy Starts On Sunday 7/17 In Tampa Bay

OFFNY

Another DD curve ball. Wasn't expecting this at all. Hoping they are pretty protective (65 to 75 pitch limit) and Bundy is really, really good.
These things are up to Buck, with consultation from DD and the pitching coaches.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is going to have to pitch more than 75 pitches a game if he is going to start the regularly. He could reach that in the middle of the fourth. That doesn't work. I would expect him to stretch out as he goes along.

No he doesn't need to pitch more than 75 pitches a game. This is the whole concept of piggybacking - lots of people have mentioned this including Joe Orsulak in his article about Bundy where he questioned the wisdom of starting Bundy at all.

You start him with the expectation that he will only go 4 to 5 innings a game and you plan for someone like Worley or Depaigne to pitch 2 to 3 innings in relief.

Here is an article by Bill James with a variation on this concept; http://www.billjamesonline.com/the_three_man_starting_rotation/

I see the value in trying this. Consider: O's make the playoffs where the series needs at least 3 good starters or starts from your best pitchers. Bundy could be that 3rd guy. I'd like to have something to learn from, even if this is it and he doesn't remain in the rotation.

I think this is a creative way to test mettle and be better informed for later on in the year, knock knock.

Any chance this is to showcase Bundy as a piece of a potential trade package? I think DD believes he needs to make a move to at least keep pace with Boston's upgrades before the trade deadline. Bundy is far from a proven commodity, but many other teams are not as risk adverse as the Orioles and may just value him higher than we do.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Any chance this is to showcase Bundy as a piece of a potential trade package? I think DD believes he needs to make a move to at least keep pace with Boston's upgrades before the trade deadline. Bundy is far from a proven commodity, but many other teams are not as risk adverse as the Orioles and may just value him higher than we do.

I know people don't want to hear it, but that's the feeling I'm getting. The timing is what points to it for me. I know we need pitching help, but why not wait to make this move til later on? Putting him in now, just a couple weeks before the deadline, at the halfway point when he likely has an innings limit is odd to me.

Nah because if Bundy performs well, why trade him when he's exactly what we need (a quality starter) and at a low cost?

Nah because if Bundy performs well, why trade him when he's exactly what we need (a quality starter) and at a low cost?

Because you could trade him for someone that could pitch twice the innings over the rest of the season.

Of course that is a high price to pay for 40 innings.

Trade him because he could be part of a package that brings back a pitcher that could contribute now and in the future instead of questioning if the team is working him too hard. I don't see trading him for someone like Rich Hill. But he would have to be included to even have a chance of landing one of the younger big fish that could be available.

Trade him because he could be part of a package that brings back a pitcher that could contribute now and in the future instead of questioning if the team is working him too hard. I don't see trading him for someone like Rich Hill. But he would have to be included to even have a chance of landing one of the younger big fish that could be available.

Teheran? Gray?

No he doesn't need to pitch more than 75 pitches a game. This is the whole concept of piggybacking - lots of people have mentioned this including Joe Orsulak in his article about Bundy where he questioned the wisdom of starting Bundy at all.

You start him with the expectation that he will only go 4 to 5 innings a game and you plan for someone like Worley or Depaigne to pitch 2 to 3 innings in relief.

Here is an article by Bill James with a variation on this concept; http://www.billjamesonline.com/the_three_man_starting_rotation/

This makes sense. If he is limited to say 4 IP, 70 pitches, what is the difference if he makes those pitches as a starter or long reliever? Either way it is the same stress and recovery period. This move is a big gamble. I am surprised they are going to it so early in the season. I really hope for Bundy's sake and the Orioles that they know what they are doing here. It seems he has learned to pitch effectively without the slider/cutter, so maybe they are more confident they can push the envelope with his innings.

I know people don't want to hear it, but that's the feeling I'm getting. The timing is what points to it for me. I know we need pitching help, but why not wait to make this move til later on? Putting him in now, just a couple weeks before the deadline, at the halfway point when he likely has an innings limit is odd to me.

Interesting theory there. Bundy being showcased at a 75-80 pitch limit to other teams. I haven't been following the trade block closely at all, because I figured Duquette would never trade a top prospect. Whatever I just hope they dont plan on Bundy becoming a 100 pitch starter this year.

Why do some measure wear on a pitcher's arm by pitch count and some by innings? That could be a huge difference.

You can't measure wear. Only proximity to failure. Bundy's arm has failed twice. He needed a new ligament, and his cutter caused his shoulder to turn to stone. He is someone you probably should be careful with or use what you can get out of.

Archived