Roe DFA - Ondrusek signed - Roe claimed by Atlanta

Yardball85

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some notes from when he made the Reds in 2010:

Ondrusek has thrown hard since pitching in high school, but has spent the past five seasons in the minor leagues becoming a complete pitcher.

"I could throw the ball around 90 or better," he said. "Basically what I did is aim for a certain spot. In college I threw hard and was concentrating on hitting my spots. As I made the transition to pro ball, I had to refine my mechanics.

"My command was decent coming in, but it wasn't anything special," he added. "I found out it's better to let a hitter put the ball in play instead of giving him a free base. I take pride that I usually don't walk guys. I trust my stuff. I let them hit it and my defense make the plays."

Ondrusek has an added a cut fastball, which has become his out pitch, and a changeup to an arsenal that includes a fastball that has been clocked from 90 to 95 mph, sinker, curveball and an occasional slider."

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2010/apr/14/mf_onsports_041510_92792/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">From Dan Duquette: "Ondrusek is a proven Major League pitcher with good stuff and we believe he can help our Major League club now."</p>? Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">July 29, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Translation: Picked him up off the scrap heap. Another piece to throw at the wall and see what sticks.

I don't get why people are so upset about this.

We are replacing a middling reliever who was picked up off the scrap heap (Chad Roe) with another middling reliever who was picked up off the scrap heap (Logan Ondrusek).

If they've scouted this guy and think he might be better in our bullpen, or a better fit for our needs, than Roe, what is so horrible about this move to generate the kind of angst it seems to be generating here?

I know that there is a general angry mood on the board because recent losses have dropped us to only having the second best record in the AL, but the reaction to this move seems overwrought.

I don't get why people are so upset about this.

We are replacing a middling reliever who was picked up off the scrap heap (Chad Roe) with another middling reliever who was picked up off the scrap heap (Logan Ondrusek).

If they've scouted this guy and think he might be better in our bullpen, or a better fit for our needs, than Roe, what is so horrible about this move to generate the kind of angst it seems to be generating here?

I know that there is a general angry mood on the board because recent losses have dropped us to only having the second best record in the AL, but the reaction to this move seems overwrought.

Because he had no leverage to demand an MLB deal, and could have been stashed in Norfolk allowing us to either keep Roe or open a lot for some optionable guys. Now we lose Roe and don't gain any flexibility.

Because he had no leverage to demand an MLB deal, and could have been stashed in Norfolk allowing us to either keep Roe or open a lot for some optionable guys. Now we lose Roe and don't gain any flexibility.

They must like him more than Roe. That is what it comes down to. I have to pander if Orioles touched base with him weeks ago hoping he could get out of his contract.

Archived