Baseball Rules.

Tx Oriole

I ahve a question for those that know the rules. If a batter is hit by the ball after it hit the ground on a pitch is the batter out or is it like a hit batter that goes to 1st base?

If a pitcher throws the ball and it hits the ground then hits the batter, it is a dead ball.

If a batter hits the ball and it bounces off the ground and hits the batter than he is out.

The batter can be award first base has a hit by pitch. If the ball bounces the batter still can also still swing at the ball. More then likely though the umpire has the discretion to say the batter did not move out the way and just call the pitch a ball. I am an umpire and the it how it was explained to me.

The ball hitting the ground doesn't change anything. If it hits the ground then the batter hits it, its a live ball. If it hits the ground then hits the batter, its a hit-by-pitch.

This might be the biggest rule that coaches don't know. I can't remember how many times I'd call a HBP then the coach would say that it hit the ground. I don't mind when the rec league coaches don't know some of the rules, but when the travel coaches that play year round and argue all the time don't know simple rules, it always annoyed me.

The other thing to note is that if a baserunner gets hits with a ball but they are in foul teritory (outiside the third base line) then they are not out it is simply a foul ball.
Another interesting thing to note is if the runner is that a base does not protect a player. If there is a popup in the infield and the runner is standing on second base, but the popup hits him in the head, he's out.

The ball hitting the ground doesn't change anything. If it hits the ground then the batter hits it, its a live ball. If it hits the ground then hits the batter, its a hit-by-pitch.

This might be the biggest rule that coaches don't know. I can't remember how many times I'd call a HBP then the coach would say that it hit the ground. I don't mind when the rec league coaches don't know some of the rules, but when the travel coaches that play year round and argue all the time don't know simple rules, it always annoyed me.

So does that mean a pitcher can intentionally get the ball to bounce before the plate, and if it goes through the strike zone it's still a strike? If that's the case I'm finding me some cricket bowlers, posthaste.

I ahve a question for those that know the rules. If a batter is hit by the ball after it hit the ground on a pitch is the batter out or is it like a hit batter that goes to 1st base?

If the answer to the bolded was yes, then that would immediately become the preferred way for pitchers to try to get guys out... just wing fastballs at the hitters' feet.

Another interesting thing to note is if the runner is that a base does not protect a player. If there is a popup in the infield and the runner is standing on second base, but the popup hits him in the head, he's out.

You forgot to call infield fly ;)

You forgot to call infield fly ;)

It's not infield fly unless runners on first & 2nd or bases loaded with less than 2 outs and the ball is in the air in the vicinity of the infield, by umpires judgment, and a fair ball.

It's not infield fly unless runners on first & 2nd or bases loaded with less than 2 outs and the ball is in the air in the vicinity of the infield, by umpires judgment, and a fair ball.

There were, and it was.

If a pitched ball hits the ground before it passes through the strike zone, i.e. it bounces in front of the plate, it is a ball, whether the ball then passes through what would be the strike zone, or not.

Mackus is correct, the fact that the ball hits the ground first does not change the fact that if it then hits the batter it is a hit by pitch and the batter is awarded first base.

Also, if the ball bounces in front of the plate, the batter may still elect to swing at the pitch. If he misses or fouls it off, it is a strike. If he hits it, the play continues as though the pitch never hit the ground.

I once had a batter pop the fall down the first base line; it hit him on the top of his batting helmet as he was running down the line, so he was out - on a side note, the first baseman then caught the ball before it hit the ground, so he was out twice, in a sense - although it still only counted as one out.

And, Mackus is also right about how many rec league managers will argue over the hit by the pitch ruling on a bounced ball. That and the infield fly rule cause more arguments with managers/coaches than you would believe.

Archived