at. RED SOX, 9/14

Sessh

Yeah, I just realized that and came here expecting someone to point that out. I wrote that part before the home run because I didn't think Boston had a chance to win once it got into the eighth inning. Game was over

for me at that point. I'll correct that now.

o

A 5-3 game in the 8th inning against the Red Sox in Fenway Park is "Game Over"?

Wow.

I don't think that I have heard an assertion like that any time recently. If anything, I've heard the opposite quite often. For example, something along the lines of, "With the Red Sox' explosive offense in Fenway Park, the game is far from over with a 2-run lead."

I didn't feel Boston was going to score on Brach or Britton especially Britton. I also thought Buck would bring in Britton before Brach would ever have a chance to let the lead get away. It is more my confidence in Britton

than anything.

o

Britton has been excellent all season long, but Brach has been very shaky in the 2nd half of this season. I wouldn't come close to saying that it was "Game over" in the 8th inning.

I suspect that there weren't 5 Oriole fans in the world that were not concerned right up until the final out of the game ...... and especially in the bottom of the 8th inning, when Britton gave up a single to the first batter that he faced, leaving runners on 1st and 2nd base with the potential go-ahead run at the plate.

Perhaps. I knew that if the game got into the eighth and the Orioles still had the lead, it would be highly improbable that they came back to win. I think Britton is that good and I don't see him collapsing now. He is still

strong and he has started throwing his slider more which is just devastating. Britton is damn good and using his slider more just makes it even harder to hit his sinker. Once he started doing that, I felt he has been even

more automatic than he was in the first half prior to that change. Britton was fresh and was going to be used while the Orioles still had the lead whether in the eighth or ninth inning. Britton is just that good especially now

that his slider has improved and is being used more. He got one of the Boston hitters to wave effortlessly at a slider for strike three last night. I don't remember who it was, but it was embarrassing.

Anyway, yeah, I think when it comes down to Britton at this point, it's game over no matter who the opponent is until proven otherwise.

o

Again, Britton has been great, but he has also had numerous outings in which he has allowed base-runners and/or the potential go-ahead runners coming to the plate.

To say that it was "Game Over" simply because Britton was pitching with a 2-run lead (and especially in the 8th inning, with 2 runners on base and the potential go-ahead run at the plate) is absurd.

Also, why would you be posting the results of a game that has not yet been completed in a new game thread? Shouldn't you at least wait until the game is completed before giving your report of the game to avoid making erroneous assertions, such as the one that you made about the Orioles not scoring after the first inning?

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply
o

Again, Britton has been great, but he has also had numerous outings in which he has allowed base-runners and/or the potential go-ahead runners coming to the plate.

To say that it was "Game Over" simply because Britton was pitching with a 2-run lead (and especially in the 8th inning, with 2 runners on base and the potential go-ahead run at the plate) is absurd.

Also, why would you be making (and posting) the results of a game that has not yet been completed in a new game thread? Shouldn't you at least wait until the game is completed before giving your report of the game to avoid making the erroneous statements, such as the one you made about the Orioles not scoring after the first inning?

I'm not allowed to make mistakes? Sorry, I didn't know you were perfect.

I do that all the time and if I make a mistake, I edit and fix it. I just didn't catch that one and it was a small error. Also, call it absurd all you want to. Boston blew too many chances and were just a little bit off all night.

Britton right now is like Eric Gagne. I doubt there were too many people who thought Gagne was anything other than a sure thing during his impressive run in the 2002-2004 campaign. He was a sure thing no matter who

the opponent was and that is Zach Britton right now until he proves otherwise. No one was crazy for thinking that about Gagne then nor is it "absurd" to think that of Britton now.

o

I'd like a little help from fellow Oriole fans, if you don't mind.

Is there anyone else who thought that the game was over in the 8th inning, simply because we had Brach on the mound and Britton was waiting in the wings with a 2-run lead, and 6 outs still needed?

I was concerned after the Brach gave up the single, which brought the potential tying run to the plate, and I was (proverbially) biting my nails down to the bone after Britton gave up the single, which put runners on 1st and 2nd base, and had the potential go-ahead run at the plate.

If had to to bet money at that point, I would have bet on the Orioles to win the game ...... even after Britton gave up the single, and the Red Sox brought the potential go-ahead run to the plate. But, "Game over" ?? Maybe I'm not giving Britton and the Orioles enough credit, but to simply turn off the game and find something else to do at that point because an Oriole win was a foregone conclusion was the last thing that was on my mind at that point.

o

I'd like a little help from fellow Oriole fansm if you don't mind.

Is there anyone else who thought that the game was over in the 8th inning, simply because we had Brach on the mound and Britton was waiting in the wings with a 2-run lead, and 6 outs still needed?

I was concerned after the Brach gave up the single , which brought the potential tying run to the plate, and I was (proverbially) biting my nails down to the bone after Britton gave up the single, which put runners on 1st and 2nd base, and had the potential go-ahead run at the plate.

If had to to bet money at that point, I would have bet on the Orioles to win the game ...... even after Britton gave up the single, and the Red Sox brought the potential go-ahead run to the plate. But, "Game over" ?? Maybe I'm not giving Britton and the Orioles enough credit, but to simply turn off the game and find something else to do at that point because an Oriole win was a foregone conclusion was the last thing that was on my mind.

I don't care what other people think. It's what I see out of Britton right now and pretty much all season. Boston is always a tough team, but Britton is nails and has been all season. He has adjusted his pitching approach

as a preemptive against the league potentially adjusting to his sinker by throwing the slider more and it's a plus pitch. Britton is very smart. I am sure many people here would say that they weren't so sure, but that doesn't

make one "absurd" for thinking something other than what you think or believe others should think. Britton is an untamable beast out there right now much like Gagne was during his run. That's what I see. If others don't

see it, nothing wrong with that, but it won't change how I see it right now.

Also, I did NOT turn off the game. I watch all games until they end. I just forgot to change one sentence at the end after Schoop's homer. I never turn the game off before it's over. Bad assumption.

I don't care what other people think.

First of all, you most certainly do care what other people think. If you didn't, you would not be posting your opinions and feelings on a fan website as you do, and debating points with Paul Folk, myself, and everyone else.

Also, I did NOT turn off the game. I watch all games until they end. I just forgot to change one sentence at the end after Schoop's homer. I never turn the game off before it's over. Bad assumption.

These are your exact words:

Yeah, I just realized that and came here expecting someone to point that out. I wrote that part before the home run because I didn't think Boston had a chance to win once it got into the eighth inning. Game was over

for me at that point. I'll correct that now.

You're playing semantics.

My comment about turning off the TV set and finding something else to do was not me implying that that is necessarily precisely what you did, it was an expression in direct response to your assertion that there was almost no way that the Red Sox would win the game being down by 2 runs, and with 2 innings still left to be played.

First of all, you most certainly do care what other people think. If you didn't, you would not be posting your opinions and feelings on a fan website as you do, and debating points with Paul Folk, myself, and everyone else.

You're playing semantics.

My comment about turning off the TV set and finding something else to do was not me implying that that is necessarily precisely what you did, it was an expression in direct response to your assertion that there was almost no way that the Red Sox would win the game being down by 2 runs, and with 2 innings still left to be played.

I mean I don't care if people see the Britton situation differently than I do and that if they do, it won't change how I personally see the situation. Surely you understand the context in which I said that?

It sure seemed like you were implying that to me since that's exactly what you said. You implied that you felt I "turned off the game and found something else to do at that point because an Oriole win was a foregone conclusion.." or else why word it exactly in that way? Are you not equating me saying it was "Game over" with turning off the game? With Britton surely coming in the game in either the eighth or ninth inning while the Orioles had the lead to shut down the Red Sox, then yes, it's game over for Boston. Sometimes, pitchers are just that good and Britton is one such pitcher. That's how I see it and until he proves otherwise, I will continue to see it that way.

I mean I don't care if people see the Britton situation differently than I do and that if they do, it won't change how I personally see the situation. Surely you understand the context in which I said that?

It sure seemed like you were implying that to me since that's exactly what you said. You implied that you felt I "turned off the game and found something else to do at that point because an Oriole win was a foregone conclusion.." or else why word it exactly in that way? With Britton surely coming in the game in either the eighth or ninth inning while the Orioles had the lead to shut down the Red Sox, then yes, it's game over for Boston. Sometimes, pitchers are just that good and Britton is one such pitcher. That's how I see it and until he proves otherwise, I will continue to see it that way.

No, I was not implying that, and that really isn't the point.

You asserting that the game was over when the Orioles had a 2-run lead with 2 innings left to be played is the point.

And as I said earlier, I'd be very surprised if there were 5 Oriole fans who felt the same way. Confidant that the Orioles would win ??? Yes (as was I.) "Game over" ??? Not even close.

My mistake (and my apologies) for taking your "not caring" comment out of context. After rereading it, I can see that.

No, I was not implying that, and that really isn't the point.

You asserting that the game was over when the Orioles had a 2-run lead with 2 innings left to be played is the point.

And as I said earlier, I'd be very surprised if there were 5 Oriole fans who felt the same way. Confidant that the Orioles would win ??? Yes (as was I.) "Game over" ??? Not even close.

My mistake (and my apologies) for taking your "not caring" comment out of context. After rereading it, I can see that.

Fair enough. You may be right that there weren't five Orioles fans who felt the same way. I just see Britton as being in a league of his own right now head and shoulders above any other relief pitcher in the game and in a

long time. Like I said, he reminds me of Gagne. I've not been able to say that about anyone since, well, Gagne. ;) Maybe he blows a game here in September, but it would surprise the crap out of me.

Yeah, I should have put something more like this:

"Pomeranz was at his absolute best. He was locating perfectly on every pitch, didn't miss his catcher's glove a single time and looked absolutely fantastic at the top of his game. He was just no match for the Orioles who

hit every pitch and weren't fooled by Pomeranz's best stuff of his career. Boston released him after his departure in the third inning and Fenway fans chased him out of the park and egged his car. Pomeranz is expected to

announce his retirement this week."

Pomeranz WAS lousy and he was on seven days rest. It was a factor, but by all means sit here and act like it wasn't.

When a pitcher gets shelled and is gone by the 3rd inning, it is usually a combination of him being lousy AND the other team hitting well to take advantage of that.

Even if we forget about the 8th inning, 2/3 of which was in the hands of a recently shaky Brad Brach, the Red Sox had Pedroia (.332, second in the league), Bogaerts (.299 with 19 homers), and Ortiz due up in the 9th. Just one gets on base and bonafied Oriole-killer Betts comes to the plate as the tie-run, followed by a red-hot Han-Ram. Britton has been almost impeccable, but who would have been astonished really if the Sox had scored and, before the 8th was played, who knows what score Brach would have been handing over to him?

Archived