Mancini talk, 2017

weams

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand how people looked at his 2016 AAA line and his age and thought he would be a meaningful big league player. He had a HR/FB of 12.5% in AAA over 500+ PAs. His MLB FR/FB is over 50% in 80 PAs. Which of these seems like a fluke?

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Since his two homer game, the league has made an adjustment to Mancini and he's seeing a lot more offspeed pitches. The question will be, can he make the adjustment back? The though has been for some time that he's a guess hitter and the fact that he's starting guess offspeed and then gets fastball is why he's been late on some fastballs.

The offspeed pitch, especially the curve, change and away slider were his issues in the minors. He'll need to show he can hit those or he'll continue to get a steady diet of them. The scouting report is out now

Well he's got some good matchups then this series.  Two hard throwing lefties, a sinkerballer, and his third time facing the knuckleballer in 4 weeks.  It's time to get hot again or end up in AAA.  

18 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Since his two homer game, the league has made an adjustment to Mancini and he's seeing a lot more offspeed pitches. The question will be, can he make the adjustment back? The though has been for some time that he's a guess hitter and the fact that he's starting guess offspeed and then gets fastball is why he's been late on some fastballs.

The offspeed pitch, especially the curve, change and away slider were his issues in the minors. He'll need to show he can hit those or he'll continue to get a steady diet of them. The scouting report is out now

In this day and age, why does it take any time at all for a scouting report to get out on a guy?    Aren't scouting reports on a player's weaknesses already out there when they're in the minors?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In this day and age, why does it take any time at all for a scouting report to get out on a guy?    Aren't scouting reports on a player's weaknesses already out there when they're in the minors?

Perhaps it's experiential knowledge? It seems to continue to happen with players. They can come up and smash a fastball, and it's almost like people react to the success and adjust to what is already out there about their weaknesses after getting burned. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They really should, but I was amazed at how Mancini was being pitched. It reminded me how Matusz's best pitch was his changeup in the minors and college but Matt Wieters would barely call it when he first came up. I was like, how does this happen?

One of the reasons I've been luke warm on Mancini, especially as a full time player was because of struggles with off speed stuff and the fact that he seems to be a guess hitter. Major league catchers will know this and start calling things outside the box and err on the side of offspeed until he proves he can hit them hard. 

Brooks Baseball on Mancini:

Against Breaking Pitches (54 seen), he has had a patient approach at the plate (0.22 c) with a high likelihood to swing and miss (41% whiff/swing).

Against Offspeed Pitches (36 seen), he has had a very patient approach at the plate (0.02 c) with a disastrously high likelihood to swing and miss (80% whiff/swing). 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Against Breaking Pitches (54 seen), he has had a patient approach at the plate (0.22 c) with a high likelihood to swing and miss (41% whiff/swing).

Against Offspeed Pitches (36 seen), he has had a very patient approach at the plate (0.02 c) with a disastrously high likelihood to swing and miss (80% whiff/swing). 

Always nice when the stats back up your eyes conclusion. Good work, and thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Well done, saves me looking this up.

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm guessing that Mancini would have been a top prospect had he shown in the minors that he could hit offspeed stuff.  I guess you could say that about a lot of guys.  It'll be interesting to see if/how he can adjust in the majors.

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This guy hits no cheapies.    Every homer he's hit, this year and last, has been absolutely crushed.    

He nearly cleared BOTH bullpens tonight! I think it actually landed in the exact same spot as his first home run last year.

Archived