Orioles top 10 minor league pitchers

Sports Guy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Based on what? Can you name even one pitcher who had the same kind of surgery and came back 100%? Everything I've read says the odds are poor even if you're 23.

Schilling had surgery to repair a torn labrum after the '95 season. And we've got 12+ yrs of technological advances since then.

Chris Carpenter had surgery to repair a torn labrum in 2002 and won the NL CY in 2005 (pitching 241.2 innings).

Gil Meche had labrum surgery in 2002.

But, yeah, the percentages aren't good.

Chris Carpenter had surgery to repair a torn labrum in 2002 and won the NL CY in 2005 (pitching 241.2 innings).

Not only is Carpenter a pretty bad example given his fragility, but that's three guys, all of whom had stuff to spare. Patton's strikeout rates were atrocious before he required major surgery to his shoulder and his stuff was "good for a lefty"

Not only is Carpenter a pretty bad example given his fragility, but that's three guys, all of whom had stuff to spare. Patton's strikeout rates were atrocious before he required major surgery to his shoulder and his stuff was "good for a lefty"

The question was, "Can you name even one pitcher who had the same kind of surgery and came back 100%?"

To be fair, I can't think of anyone besides Carpenter who had a career ERA of 4.93 through his first six years in the majors, then had labrum surgery, and then had three straight great seasons with a 56-19 record including 5-1 in the post season.

I couldn't put Patton in my Top 10 right now, and I don't know anything about him except what I can read. His K-rates were pretty good through 2006, though, and he was shut down due to the shoulder injury in Sept. 2007. (He had an MRI on his shoulder on Sept. 9th, 2007).

Also, for what it's worth, Sickels rated Patton as the best prospect in the Astros system for 2008 (Nov 2007).

1. Tillman

2. Arrieta

3. Spoone

4. Erbe

5. Britton

6. Liz

7. Hernandez

8. Patton

9. Beato

10. Bergesen

11. McCrory

12. Butler

13. Berken

14. Mikolio

15. Bascom

16. Hoey

17. Renshaw

18. Noel

19. Marriotti

20. Perez

1) Penn

2) Tillman

3) Liz

4) Spoone

5) Arrieta

6) Hernandez

7) Butler

8) Erbe

9) Beato

10) Bergesen

I'm interested in seeing Bascom when he gets healthy...

I'm still confused why 23 year old Hayden Penn, who has less than 60IP in the Majors is not a prospect...

Even if Penn is still a prospect, I can't seem him being higher then 3 or 4. Tillman and Arrieta are clearly ahead of everyone include Mr. Penn.

1, Tilllman

2. Arietta

3. Hernandez

4. Spoone

5. Liz

6. Erbe

7. Berken

8. Bergesen

9. Britton

10. Penn

I can't put Patton on my list. He may never pitch again. Bascom will probably show up somewhere near the bottom of this list once he starts pitching again, but he hasn't had enough pro experience for me to feel comfortable ranking him yet.

The difficulty with these lists is trading off performance versus potential. I ranked Liz and Erbe above Berken and Bergesen, based on upside potential (which essentially translates to "having more MPH and life on the fastball"). But Berken and Bergesen are performing extremely well at a high level at a reasonably young age. Neither was highly regarded coming into the season, but as long as they are putting up impressive numbers I think we have to regard them as legitimate prospects.

Beato I left off...I know he was drafted high, but he hasn't done anything special during his pro career, unlike Erbe, Liz and Penn who have excelled at times.

Never jumped in on this, but here is my top 10 list...

1. Arietta

2. Tillman

3. Spoone

4. Hernandez

5. Penn

6. Bergesen

7. Berken

8. Erbe

9. Beato

10. Liz

Damn close : Britton, Mariotti, Butler, Bascom, Patton, Renshaw, Noel, McMurry

This is closest to mine: