Ben Revere?

theobird

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Revere is only 28, Bourn is 33 with downward trending numbers. His speed and defense are likely going away due to age. I'd only bring him back on a 1 year deal as a backup outfielder, if at all.

Revere intrigues me - I was hoping we'd get him instead of Parra last year (2015) at the deadline. His OPS this past season was about 100 points below normal. Was he trying to play through an injury or something? He's young enough that his skills shouldn't be eroding at this point.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/reverbe01.shtml

Yeah, he's basically what Bourn used to be - which is certainly better than what Bourn is now. Revere's a helluva CFer, but... he has zero power. I don't think that's a match for Camden Yards.

Yeah, he's basically what Bourn used to be - which is certainly better than what Bourn is now. Revere's a helluva CFer, but... he has zero power. I don't think that's a match for Camden Yards.

I disagree there - at least about the part about no power being ill-suited for OPACY. We have enough mashers. What we need is someone who provides excellent defense in RF (or CF - allowing Jones to move to RF, but I digress), and who can hit in the leadoff or #2 hole (preferably leadoff) and be a high OBP guy. I'm not sure if Revere is that guy anymore, or if he ever was with a career .320 OBP, but if last year was indeed a mulligan, I'd take his last 4 seasons (.333, .338, .325, and .342 OBP) prior to that and plug him into the leadoff spot with a Kim/Rickard platoon behind him in the #2 hole. And then play him in either CF or RF (again, if Jones would move over).

All that assumes, of course, that last year was a fluke and he'd return to form, which is far from given. But my point is, I don't care a bit that he doesn't have any power.

If Bourn does well next year, great, but we shouldn't count on it. Sometimes these types of players work out (McLouth for one year) and sometimes they don't (De Aza, Parra, Snider, Stubbs). Even when you have a bunch of them, sometimes nothing works out (2015). I thought it was reckless of Buck to say he wanted Bourn back next year to play a key role.

But Revere is currently signed until 2018 and will have to give up something to acquire him. Bourn started declining around the same age as Revere. Would be easier to sign Bourn to a minor league deal if we can.

Revere is not signed beyond 2016, he's merely under the Nats' control for two more years. I'm not sure they'll tender him a contract for 2017, considering his $6.25 mm salary this year and his very poor performance.

Yes, he had an oblique strain that hindered him until late in the season. He has consistent career numbers and the O's were very hot on his trail at the trade deadline in 2015. I'd love to have him on this team. More than Fowler and likely a lot cheaper.

I suggested this months ago when the topic was brought up but several here claimed he "sucked" in spite of my posting his career numbers and pointing out his injury. You just can't reach some folks.

Does he have the arm for RF?

True, but his strikeout rate was significantly lower which at some point needs to be considered across the board. AJ's rate wasn't abysmal - 115 in 152 games but when you see Revere's - 34 in 103 games, it's something.

And I'm aware that no one here is suggesting that Revere replace AJ, but I would be in favor of it. Get some prospects for a guy who won't sorely be missed regarding the offensive approach I would like to see.

There's no reason to think that grounding out 70 times instead of striking out is going to be more valuable. Especially in an overall package that features no power or walks.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2016 at 2:41 PM, Frobby said:

Revere is not signed beyond 2016, he's merely under the Nats' control for two more years. I'm not sure they'll tender him a contract for 2017, considering his $6.25 mm salary this year and his very poor performance.

All indications point to non-tender today. Speed, solid defense, affordable. Possible solution to LF / lead-off. I have to think DD is monitoring this situation with great interest.

Archived