Is Dariel Alvarez That Terrible?

ELMERO

What's the problem with this guy?  His name is mentioned sporadically as possibly being turned into a pitcher. Wha?  At the age of 28?  He fielded .995 with 12 assists and 1 error at Norfolk last year.  Is his range extremely limited?  Attitude?  Some sort of injury problem?  No hope of ever hitting ML pitching?  What am I missing here?  The guys, everybody's talking about signing, all possess some deterring factor.  Pagan is old.  Desmond Jennings has had knee Bursitus problems.  Franklin Gutierrez has that incurable spinal disease.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ELMERO said:

What's the problem with this guy?  His name is mentioned sporadically as possibly being turned into a pitcher. Wha?  At the age of 28?  He fielded .995 with 12 assists and 1 error at Norfolk last year.  Is his range extremely limited?  Attitude?  Some sort of injury problem?  No hope of ever hitting ML pitching?  What am I missing here?  The guys, everybody's talking about signing, all possess some deterring factor.  Pagan is old.  Desmond Jennings has had knee Bursitus problems.  Franklin Gutierrez has that incurable spinal disease.

Seventy-two walks in 1767 plate appearances.  That is significantly lower than what Schoop and Jones accomplished in the minors..

It's actually a good question. In my mind Alvarez was clearly a better option than Reimold last year yet he barely got any time with the big leagues club and wasn't even brought up in September. 

He can hit left-handed pitching and in my mind will battle against right-handed pitching. He swings at everything but he also has pretty good plate coverage whcih allows him to hit pitches others can not. Defensively he's fine in RF range and jump wise and his arm is obviously a big plus.

I'd rather have him as the extra right-handed hitting outfielder than the choices out there in free agency. I get the distinct the distinct feeling the Orioles do not share my views on Alvarez.

I think that if they are not going to allow him MLB Service time it would be time to "Cut Bait'" on him and allow his Forty Man Roster spot go to someone that would be more apt to help this year.  To waste his options and age on changing him to a pitcher is not being considered by the player.  He has stated that he is not open to that discussion YET.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's actually a good question. In my mind Alvarez was clearly a better option than Reimold last year yet he barely got any time with the big leagues club and wasn't even brought up in September. 

The thing about Reimold was, he was a streaky player and the O's just held on too long waiting for him to bust out for a second time last season, after carrying a 1.000+ OPS as late as May 11.   That second hot streak just never came.    Alvarez may have been a better option at some point last year, but certainly Reimold's hot start and track record would have kept him on the club through June.   His OPS was still at .795 as of July 2.   Alvarez, meanwhile, was under .700 at Norfolk at the time, and though he heated up in July, ended up at .708.    Not exactly a compelling case for a promotion.   

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seventy-two walks in 1767 plate appearances.  That is significantly lower than what Schoop and Jones accomplished in the minors..

Thanks for pointing that out.  Whew, that is ridiculously low walk ratio!  That certainly clears it up quite a bit, for me.

18 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

I think that if they are not going to allow him MLB Service time it would be time to "Cut Bait'" on him and allow his Forty Man Roster spot go to someone that would be more apt to help this year.  To waste his options and age on changing him to a pitcher is not being considered by the player.  He has stated that he is not open to that discussion YET.

I have to agree at this point.  Alvarez should fill in that RH platoon OF with defense position.  If the team still wants to add someone for that role instead of letting him play, it's time to get him off the 40-man.

I would give him one last chance this spring to play himself onto the team.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The thing about Reimold was, he was a streaky player and the O's just held on too long waiting for him to bust out for a second time last season, after carrying a 1.000+ OPS as late as May 11.   That second hot streak just never came.    Alvarez may have been a better option at some point last year, but certainly Reimold's hot start and track record would have kept him on the club through June.   His OPS was still at .795 as of July 2.   Alvarez, meanwhile, was under .700 at Norfolk at the time, and though he heated up in July, ended up at .708.    Not exactly a compelling case for a promotion.   

I just thought Alvarez was a much better overall player than Reimold. He's a better defender, he's got better running instincts, and I thought he was a better hitter at this stage in their careers. I know Alvarez didn't tear it up in AAA last year, but as a 4th/5th outfielder against lefties, I think he'll do just fine and do it much cheaper than most FA options.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I just thought Alvarez was a much better overall player than Reimold. He's a better defender, he's got better running instincts, and I thought he was a better hitter at this stage in their careers. I know Alvarez didn't tear it up in AAA last year, but as a 4th/5th outfielder against lefties, I think he'll do just fine and do it much cheaper than most FA options.

While I know he has quality bat on balls skills I don't think is at all likely that someone with his lack of selectivity can succeed at the major league level.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I wouldn't be against giving him a shot.    The throws from RF would be entertaining.   I haven't seen enough of him to have much of an impression beyond what I can read on a stat sheet.    I never thought Reimold was a bad baserunner, though.  

I don't necessarily think he is better than what is out there in the FA market (there is some good OF depth options out there for us) BUT I do think he is better than Reimold. I think 80% of fans feel that Reimold got special treatment for no good reason. It is puzzling and I don't want Reimold anywhere near this roster, even on a minor league deal.

I will bring up something that RZNJ brought up that I thought was a good idea. Trying him as a pitcher. Has this been seriously discussed? He has a cannon for an arm.

3 hours ago, ELMERO said:

There are 800 guys who play well at the MLB level. He is not one. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The Reimold thing was strange. 

37 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I don't necessarily think he is better than what is out there in the FA market (there is some good OF depth options out there for us) BUT I do think he is better than Reimold. I think 80% of fans feel that Reimold got special treatment for no good reason. It is puzzling and I don't want Reimold anywhere near this roster, even on a minor league deal.

It's funny, back when there were certain posters who just loved Reimold to death, I never was one of them.    Now Reimold is a whipping boy and I don't understand that either.    He had a good spring last year, earned his spot on the roster, started the year red-hot but then went into a slump and the team was slow in reacting.    It's not that big of a deal -- the guy had 203 PA all season.   I'm not saying I want him back, but this idea that the team gave him "special treatment" is hogwash IMO.     

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

It's funny, back when there were certain posters who just loved Reimold to death, I never was one of them.    Now Reimold is a whipping boy and I don't understand that either.    He had a good spring last year, earned his spot on the roster, started the year red-hot but then went into a slump and the team was slow in reacting.    It's not that big of a deal -- the guy had 203 PA all season.   I'm not saying I want him back, but this idea that the team gave him "special treatment" is hogwash IMO.     

If you don't think he has gotten preferential treatment due to Brady Anderson and Buck, not sure what to say. He has.

You don't think inserting him in as a defensive replacement in the Wildcard game was more than a little...ummm...questionable?

Archived