Spring Training Mega Thread

weams

Post your stuff here!

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/02/plenty-to-ponder-as-pitchers-and-catchers-set-to-report.html

Will Chris Lee regain his full health and reposition himself for a call up?
Lee was on the fast track to the majors before his lat injury limited him to eight games (seven starts) at Double-A Bowie. The last time we saw Lee, he was at minicamp and nearing a return to the mound. I’d be surprised if the Orioles assigned him to Triple-A Norfolk, but no matter where he starts the 2017 season, he’s a candidate to make his major league debut later this summer if healthy. Anything he does in camp will be worthy of our attention unless it’s picking a sushi restaurant. (Yume Sushi on Main St. and Pacific Rim on Hillview St. are fine choices, but I digress ...)

Just how good is Jesus Liranzo?
The Orioles must think highly of the 21-year-old right-hander or they wouldn’t have protected him in the Rule 5 draft. He was a priority. The Orioles won’t put him on the opening day roster, but he’s squarely on Showalter’s radar and that’s always a good thing. I look forward to watching his bullpen sessions and taking blurry photos with my phone.

Just how good is Joe Gunkel?
We’ve seen the numbers in the minors. Everyone wants to know how his stuff translates in the majors. He needs to pitch early in games on the road before teams start removing their starters. Keep those gray pants handy and find a comfortable seat on the bus. He wouldn’t be a bad choice as a dark horse pick. The bullpen needs a long reliever/swingman and Vance Worley isn’t walking through that door. Does this put him in direct competition with Logan Verrett?

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have they had jerseys specifically for Spring Training before? In any case, the duds you will see the O’s sporting down in Sarasota are very similar to the orange tops they wear for Saturday home games. The only difference appears to be a teal interstate-esque logo on the right sleeve with “FL” on it (teams based in Arizona get “AZ”) and the players name and number on the back is in white with some faint lettering. OK then.

Paired with the aforementioned jerseys are going to be matching hats. Again, they look exactly like something already in the O’s wardrobe with a Florida twist. The hats are all black, like the team’s current batting practice hat, with the same interstate sign found on the jerseys.

MLB has partnered with Stance to make Orioles-themed socks. The players get some sweet-looking black socks with thick orange stripes that would be awesome if any of the players go with high pants (I’m looking at you Adam Jones). Fans can buy some more wild patterns online.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2017/2/7/14528838/orioles-sod-jerseys-socks-25th-anniversary-oriole-park-camden-yards-2017

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/bal/spring_training/

WORKOUTS

Fans are invited to watch workouts on the back fields at the complex each day from Feb. 14-23 from approximately 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. The first full squad workout will be held on Feb. 17. There is no charge to attend, and free parking is available in the East Lot off of 12th Street and Tuttle Avenue

The 2017 season marks the eighth consecutive Spring Training for the Orioles in Sarasota, and the seventh in the renovated Ed Smith Stadium. With its modern amenities mixed with historical Florida architecture, Ed Smith Stadium has truly become "Birdland South." Since 2010, when the club's Major League operations moved to Sarasota, more than 640,000 fans have enjoyed Spring Training baseball at Ed Smith Stadium.

http://www.4sarasota.com/Sarasota/Recreation/baltimore_orioles_spring_training.html

Pitchers and catchers are scheduled to report to Ed Smith Stadium for camp in Monday. Position players will report the following week.

Fans are invited to watch the team's workouts on the back fields at the complex each day. There is no charge to attend, and free parking is available.

I'll be making a brief visit though I won't get to Sarasota.  Myself, a Nat fan friend, and two Pirate fan friends will be down for four days visiting a friend in Tampa (who is not a baseball fan at all).  We'll be eating good food and visiting local craft beer brewers, but we will manage to squeeze in a couple ballgames.  O's at Pirates a week from Saturday in Bradenton, and Nats at Twins two weeks from today in Fort Myers.  I'm sure after the Pirate game in Bradenton we will visit our two favorite Bradenton breweries, Darwin's (right across the street from McKechnie Field) and Motorworks (a few blocks away) if anyone wants to come and share a beer with us.  I hope to see a few of the young Orioles in that road game in Bradenton, though it's such a short trip from Sarasota it wouldn't surprise me if some regulars made the trip.

I'm visiting my mother in upstate New York this coming weekend so I expect to go from highs in the teens/20s next weekend to hopefully some 80 degree days the following weekend.

In my one O's game I would love to get a chance to see Mancini, Sisco, as well as some of the pitchers mentioned in this thread (Gunkel, Lee, Liranzo).

Question about the guys in the WBC:  Do they report to O's camp for some period of time and then go to train with their national team?  How long before their national teams play games do they train with them?

Just now, bobmc said:

A bit surprised to see Hardy's name but encouraged by Santander.  He could be rich man's Joey for this year.  Probably want to get him checked out medically to see what they have.

Always encouraged to see a veteran come down early and really go all in.

Santander is a guy the O's would love to keep in the organization, and the injury will help stash him... but it's a long season.

Archived