Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

7 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

“We’d like to be competitive,” Duquette said this morning. “Nobody’s running away with the American League. We’ve got our bullpen back. If we can get some stability to our starting pitching, the rest of our team is intact. "

Cleveland has won 8 in a row.  KC has won 9 in a row, about to make it 10.  The Yankees have won 6 in a row.  I know Dan has been extremely busy w/ that masterpiece of the Hellickson deal, but I thought he might check the standings this time of year.  Long winning streaks is what playoff teams do this time of year.  Beating up on mediocre teams like the Rangers and getting beat up on by the Astros and Cubs is what mediocre teams do. 

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully no one wants to sell Gausman anymore. Could be the best SP in the AL if he puts it all together. Sharpen up the slider and keep running that 2S fb in on rh bats, he's getting a lot of movement on that pitch recently. McDowell ?♥️?

3 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Hopefully no one wants to sell Gausman anymore. Could be the best SP in the AL if he puts it all together. Sharpen up the slider and keep running that 2S fb in on rh bats, he's getting a lot of movement on that pitch recently. McDowell ?♥️?

Funny how much different he is now compared to earlier. Tillman has health issues, Kevin just cleaned things up.  

I mean if he could just pitch like last year, year in year out we would be fortunate. 

Now we need to hit on these trades. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Funny how much different he is now compared to earlier. Tillman has health issues, Kevin just cleaned things up.  

I mean if he could just pitch like last year, year in year out we would be fortunate. 

Now we need to hit on these trades. 

He can look as good as any pitcher in the AL. It looks like he's throwing a different fastball, instead of a straight 98 hrs throwing a running 96 and he's not throwing 0-2 FBs down the middle as often, hes elevating or throwing his offspeed. I think today is the first time I've seen him get a swinging K on a breaking ball that ended up in the strike zone. That pitch is coming along. I wouldn't trade this Gausman for many players. I'm glad Theo didn't overwhelm Dan with any offers, there were reports that the Cubs wanted him, so I'm going to be a glass is half full fan and say good job not selling the Gaus...it certainly hasn't been unanimous here so rather than looking for s criticism I'll stretch for praise. Great night from the big club to the farm, Bowie & Baltimore really made this a great Saturday for us.

1 minute ago, Cumberbundy said:

He can look as good as any pitcher in the AL. It looks like he's throwing a different fastball, instead of a straight 98 hrs throwing a running 96 and he's not throwing 0-2 FBs down the middle as often, hes elevating or throwing his offspeed. I think today is the first time I've seen him get a swinging K on a breaking ball that ended up in the strike zone. That pitch is coming along. I wouldn't trade this Gausman for many players. I'm glad Theo didn't overwhelm Dan with any offers, there were reports that the Cubs wanted him, so I'm going to be a glass is half full fan and say good job not selling the Gaus...it certainly hasn't been unanimous here so rather than looking for s criticism I'll stretch for praise. Great night from the big club to the farm, Bowie & Baltimore really made this a great Saturday for us.

I never wanted him dealt. These are the guys they need to win with. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't know whether to be happy that Gausman is pitching so well, or angry that he futzed around for three months.  

I agree but that is why I think it is tough to bury Duquette for expecting more from the team they broke camp with.  All things being equal if Gausman and Tillman gave the team 5 more quality starts each, the position of this team at the end of July would be much different.  I don't think that wasn't realistic thinking.  Gausman is just better than he has pitched much of the season.  

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

I agree but that is why I think it is tough to bury Duquette for expecting more from the team they broke camp with.  All things being equal if Gausman and Tillman gave the team 5 more quality starts each, the position of this team at the end of July would be much different.  I don't think that wasn't realistic thinking.  Gausman is just better than he has pitched much of the season.  

I don't blame Duquette for counting on Gausman and Tillman.  I do blame him for not having a backup plan for Miley and Ubaldo.  The O's were going to be hurting if any starter was hurt or ineffective. 

24 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I agree 100% with you Frobby. Why does Gausman pitch so much better in the second half? I just don't get it. Does he have an evil twin or something?

Gausman has 3 straight excellent starts in a row, all with Caleb Joseph behind the plate.

On the year, he has 7 quality starts in 11 starts with Caleb.

He has 2 quailty starts in 11 starts with Castillo.

16 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't blame Duquette for counting on Gausman and Tillman.  I do blame him for not having a backup plan for Miley and Ubaldo.  The O's were going to be hurting if any starter was hurt or ineffective. 

He tried, acquiring Ynoa and Asher as fallback options, to go with Aquino (who he acquired the year before) and Wright and WIlson.

Each and every one of them failed too.   Obviously that's on Duquette, as he chose them.   But it wasn't unreasonable to hope that one of them might at least be an adequate 5th starter option.

36 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't know whether to be happy that Gausman is pitching so well, or angry that he futzed around for three months.  

I just hope he is sorting himself out for the next few years. He and Bundy pitching to their potential would be nice pieces to have in the staff as we move forward. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Gausman has 3 straight excellent starts in a row, all with Caleb Joseph behind the plate.

On the year, he has 7 quality starts in 11 starts with Caleb.

He has 2 quailty starts in 11 starts with Castillo.

Thanks for posting. A lot of evidence that catcher ERA is not a myth...

Archived