Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

It appears to be down to Smith and Castillo as the O's players that may be traded before Tuesday.   

Britton is not pitching well enough to bring back the return the O's want.   But he probably gets traded this winter.  Brach should be extended not traded. O'Day isn't pitching well enough to be traded.

Smith is probably the prime candidate to be trade.  He has been productive and is a FA after the season.  The O's have young outfielders coming so they probably don't re-sign Smith next year.   The O's probably get what they can get for Smith and save his salary.

Castillo could also be traded.   Sisco can't control the running game yet and the O's shouldn't expose him to the majors as a catcher until he can.  Wynns is probably needed for the rest of the season in AA as the Baysox try to make the playoffs.  But Pena could be called up for the rest of the season.  So Castillo's opt out could get him traded.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been saying that we should target SP, but SP is just so risky. Think about HOU, didn't they kind of grow the bats and buy the arms?  Of their pitching staff right now these guys didn't come from their system,

Fiers, Morton, Mchugh, Giles, Devenski, Gregerson, Sipp, Harris.

So 3/5 of their rotation and pretty much their entire back end of the pen. They used their prospects as currency and bought MLB ready pitching.  Not looking into the future, just at this current team. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I've been saying that we should target SP, but SP is just so risky. Think about HOU, didn't they kind of grow the bats and buy the arms?  Of their pitching staff right now these guys didn't come from their system,

Fiers, Morton, Mchugh, Giles, Devenski, Gregerson, Sipp, Harris.

So 3/5 of their rotation and pretty much their entire back end of the pen. They used their prospects as currency and bought MLB ready pitching.  Not looking into the future, just at this current team. 

The bulk of most teams rotations come from different places. There is this idea out there that many teams develop their own. It simply isn't true. 

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It appears to be down to Smith and Castillo as the O's players that may be traded before Tuesday.   

Britton is not pitching well enough to bring back the return the O's want.   But he probably gets traded this winter.  Brach should be extended not traded. O'Day isn't pitching well enough to be traded.

Smith is probably the prime candidate to be trade.  He has been productive and is a FA after the season.  The O's have young outfielders coming so they probably don't re-sign Smith next year.   The O's probably get what they can get for Smith and save his salary.

Though Castillo can opt out this winter he is not as likely as Smith to be trade.  Sisco can't control the running game yet and the O's shouldn't expose him to the majors as a catcher until he can.  Wynns is probably needed for the rest of the season in AA as the Baysox try to make the playoffs.  So if the O's trade Castillo who replaces him?   That is why the O's probably keep Castillo throughout the season.   I would think that Castillo's opt out would get him traded to get something back but maybe not.

Roch continues to say they want to see Sisco this year. They would love to deal Castillo. 

I still think Britton gets dealt.  

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Roch continues to say they want to see Sisco this year. They would love to deal Castillo. 

I still think Britton gets dealt.  

I'd trade Castillo and go Joseph/Cisco on a 60/40 split into next season as well. Love Cisco's bat off the bench on the days he has off. If Cisco fails, I still like Caleb as our starter for the next season or two until we find another option.

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

2 minutes ago, NedFromYork said:

Have to deal Castillo so he doesn't opt in.  Joseph is healthy and showing he can provide a decent BA at catcher with defense cheap.

I am a Joseph supporter and am fine with him catching the majority of the get for the rest of the year.

Archived