Cedric Mullins, 2.0

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Batting average is rough this month. Wonder if he projects to be more of a 4th OF type? Of course if he is truly an elite defender that helps big time  

That's exactly what Kieth Law said in an ESPN insider article a few days ago that I briefly summarized. Projects as 4th outfielder but his elite defense could make him a regular. I put some notes on the article in the Austin Hays thread recently, wasn't much.

3 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

That's exactly what Kieth Law said in an ESPN insider article a few days ago that I briefly summarized. Projects as 4th outfielder but his elite defense could make him a regular. I put some notes on the article in the Austin Hays thread recently, wasn't much.

I'm confused about the elite defense.    Earlier in the year, I'd read some opinions that Hays was a better CF than Mullins even though Mullins was faster, because Mullins didn't take great routes.     I recognize that Mullins has made some great plays, but is he actually elite?

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I'm confused about the elite defense.    Earlier in the year, I'd read some opinions that Hays was a better CF than Mullins even though Mullins was faster, because Mullins didn't take great routes.     I recognize that Mullins has made some great plays, but is he actually elite?

Yeah I'm really not sure, haven't seen anything just follow minor league box scores daily. It definitely seems like Mullin's defense has all of the sudden been touted as 'elite' for the past three weeks and has been a hot topic this month.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I've seen Hays a bunch. He's a great athlete, but still looks a bit awkward to me in the OF. The tools are all there though. I think Mullins looks a lot smoother.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I've seen Hays a bunch. He's a great athlete, but still looks a bit awkward to me in the OF. The tools are all there though. I think Mullins looks a lot smoother.

So is it fair to say Hays is best in RF but can play a passable CF? 

23 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Ok thanks, I'll look for it.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Early in the year Mullins looked rough out there, routinely bungling routes. Sometimes his speed would allow him to make the play anyways.  As the year has gone on he's improved a good bit. 

I think Hays is good enough to play center, but Mullins has a higher upside.

Hays has a strong arm, 55-60, Mullins is fringey 45ish.

4 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I already have Hays penciled in as our starting RF next year. I think Mullins could be offseason trade bait at this point.

Why?   Jones only has one year left on his contract.    I'd keep Mullins to leave open the possibility that he's our CF in 2019.

Archived