Buck Showalter: “They’re capable of better”

AZRon

59 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Since the deadline we haven't played in too many safe situations. It's basically been buck just getting him work. 

It's been strange. He can get him two innings in a close game, it's been very weird imo. He's had games with 8th inning leads where ZB wasn't up & ultimately wasn't used as we are desperate for Ws, he has been measured with Britton rather than aggressive and that either means there's an injury, lack of trust, or Buck simply hasn't been prepared to do what's necessary. After missing the first half of the season ZB should have a ton in the tank & Buck hasn't utilized him aggressively. 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Message to Buck, No they are not

I'm not quite sure what the quote was, when it was made, or who it related to.    But, assuming Buck was referring to the starting rotation, and made that statement about when the thread was started, then subsequent events suggest he was absolutely right.    The rotation has had a 3.97 ERA since the day the thread was started, compared to 5.92 before that date.     

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2017 at 5:34 PM, OFFNY said:

o

The starting rotation at-large (except for Tillman) has been pitching more capably as of late, as Showalter proclaimed that they could.

It remains to be seen as to whether or not they can sustain it over a longer stretch of the season.

o

o

The Orioles are 23-15 since Showalter made the statement about the Orioles being capable of playing better.

Bundy and Gausman have been excellent, Miley has found ways to muddle through the majority of his recent outings in spite of his high walk rate, and the Orioles' offense has found ways to win some of the games in which the starting pitching has not been good.

o

Here are the updated stats:
GS = Games Started
QS = Quality Starts
%  = Percentage of Starts that were Quality Starts
IP = Average Innings Pitched in Starts
RA = Average Runs Allowed in Starts

Average
                                    GS     QS       %     IP    RA
Dylan Bundy              25     18     72.0  6.2   2.8
Jeremy Hellickson   26     11     42.3  5.6   3.4
Kevin Gausman        29     12     41.4  5.4   3.0
Wade Miley               27       7      25.9  5.1   3.0
Ubaldo Jiménez      22       5      22.7  5.0   3.8

Chris Tillman           17       3      17.6  4.5   4.4

Hellickson's stats include his starts with the Phillies.

The Orioles are 2 losses behind the Twins for the 2nd wildcard,  3 losses behind the Yankees for the 1st wildcard, and 8 losses behind the Red Sox for the division lead.

I continue to maintain that had Duquette and Showalter acted sooner to replace one or more of our 3 poorest performing starting pitchers with selections from the Duquette minor league/bullpen menagerie (or an available Hellickson clone via trade), at least 5 Oriole losses (perhaps as many as 10) could have been avoided. 

The O’s current record is 69 - 66; pick up just 5 wins and the Orioles are the current wildcard leader and just 3 losses out of 1st in the AL East.

This is all on the choices made by Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette and “They’re capable of better”.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are the updated stats:
GS = Games Started
QS = Quality Starts
%  = Percentage of Starts that were Quality Starts
IP = Average Innings Pitched in Starts
RA = Average Runs Allowed in Starts

Average
                                   GS     QS       %     IP    RA
Dylan Bundy             26     18     69.2   6.1   2.9
Jeremy Hellickson  28     12     42.9   5.5   3.4
Kevin Gausman       30     12     40.0   5.3   3.0
Wade Miley              29       8     27.6   5.1   3.0
Ubaldo Jiménez      22      5      22.7   5.0   3.8

Chris Tillman           18      3     16.7   4.5   4.3

All others                 10      5      50.0   5.1   3.8
(Asher 6, Ynoa 1, Wilson 1, Aquino 2)

Hellickson's stats include his starts with the Phillies.

The Orioles are 3 losses behind the Twins for the 2nd wildcard,  7 losses behind the Yankees for the 1st wildcard, and 10 losses behind the Red Sox for the division lead.

I continue to maintain that had Duquette and Showalter acted sooner to replace one or more of our 3 poorest performing starting pitchers with selections from the Duquette minor league/bullpen menagerie (or an available Hellickson clone via trade), at least 5 Oriole losses (perhaps as many as 10) could have been avoided.

Check out the record for the "others". 

The O’s current record is 71 - 72; pick up just 5 wins and the Orioles hold the 2nd wildcard and are just 2 losses behind the Yankees for the 1st wildcard.

This is all on the choices made by Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette and “They’re capable of better”.

Archived