Austin Hays

weams

Does this start Hays' service clock (for 2018) regardless of him being promoted after the Super 2 deadline next year?  If that's the case, I don't like it unless they are certain he will be the everyday right fielder on opening day next year.  Will be a tough situation, with Santander having to be on the roster as well.  Getting rid of Trumbo would open things up a bit.  

Regardless, this move only makes sense if Hays is playing everyday and I'm not sure that is possible unless Trumbo/Davis/Smith rotate on the bench against righties.  

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Does this start Hays' service clock (for 2018) regardless of him being promoted after the Super 2 deadline next year?  If that's the case, I don't like it unless they are certain he will be the everyday right fielder on opening day next year.  Will be a tough situation, with Santander having to be on the roster as well.  Getting rid of Trumbo would open things up a bit.  

Regardless, this move only makes sense if Hays is playing everyday and I'm not sure that is possible unless Trumbo/Davis/Smith rotate on the bench against righties.  

Yes, this starts his service clock.  If he makes the OD roster next year, he won't be a Super 2 (assuming he stays in the big leagues permanently).  They'd have to option him and leave him in the minors about a month past the Super 2 cutoff (or what they think it'll be, there's no official cutoff), if they wanted to avoid Super 2.

17 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Buck had better be playing him cause otherwise it is a loss for the organization overall to start his service time for no reason. 

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

No, you don't bring up Hays to sit him on the bench. Smith would be a good bat off the bench and could give the Orioles a nice matchup late in games. 

I just can't see them benching Seth. I think we will see plenty of Hays. I don't think he will rot on bench. We shall see. This time of year many more moves are made each game. He could hit for Smith etc. 

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Buck had better be playing him cause otherwise it is a loss for the organization overall to start his service time for no reason. 

Keep in mind Santander has to stay here until mid May. If they think he is ready or want to start his clock he starts Opening Day. If not they could always have him start at AAA and bring him up when Santander can be sent down. If they do that it buys them another year.  

• Upvote 1

This surprises the heck out of me.  Very un-Oriole like.

I think Hays just became the O's everyday right fielder.   Smith and Trumbo share DH.   Trumbo is having a bad year. I just don't see the O's promoting  Hays to platoon him.

I think Aquino  and Faulkner get DFA'd for  Hays and Hardy.

Faulkner does not have to be on the 40 man roster to go to the AFL.

Too bad Hays can't pitch.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Tillman should go if the world is cut throat. That said he has meant too much to the team and should not be treated bad. 

This could be the shot in the arm that Bettintendi was to the red sox last year. Yeah, we're not DFA'ing Tillman. I think he'll be a pirate next year. Ray Searage loves guys like Tillman. To bad the pirates are going to suck. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think Hays just became the O's everyday right fielder.   Smith and Trumbo share DH.   Trumbo is having a bad year. I just don't see the O's promoting  Hays to platoon him.

Too bad Hays can't pitch.

Aquino got DFA'ed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So now Trumbo sits? Doubt that. I am not saying he will never start vs RHP, I just can't see Smith being buried. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

So now Trumbo sits? Doubt that. I am not saying he will never start vs RHP, I just can't see Smith being buried. 

Look at their splits.

Smith  813 OPS vs RHP, Smith  almost never plays vs left though he has an 842 in 23 AB.

Trumbo 689 OPS vs RHP,  785 OPS vs LHP