Austin Hays

weams

2 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Buck had better be playing him cause otherwise it is a loss for the organization overall to start his service time for no reason. 

Yes and no.   There's basically no difference between calling him up now and having him on the Opening Day roster next year.     But if he isn't on the OD roster next year, this extends the dates on which we could call him up next year and avoid having him accrue enough service time to (1) attain six full years of service by the end of 2023, or (2) qualify for Super 2 status after the 2020 season.

By way of example, if Hays is called up today and spends the rest of the year on our roster, he'll accrue 28 days of service time.     There are about 185 days in a season, and 172 days is considered a full season of service time.    So, if we hadn't called him up now, we could have left him off next year's OD roster, waited about 2 weeks to call him up, and he wouldn't have accrued a full year of service in 2018 and thus couldn't be a free agent until after the 2024 season.  But by calling him up now, we'd have to keep him in the minors about 6 weeks next year for him not to accrue his service time.     To avoid having him qualify as a Super Two after 2020 (which is less important, in my view), he'd need to stay in the minors for 2.5 - 3 months next season, instead of 1.5 - 2 months if he wasn't called up now.    

• Upvote 3

Just now, Frobby said:

Yes and no.   There's basically no difference between calling him up now and having him on the Opening Day roster next year.     But if he isn't on the OD roster next year, this extends the dates on which we could call him up next year and avoid having him accrue enough service time to (1) attain six full years of service by the end of 2023, or (2) qualify for Super 2 status after the 2020 season.

By way of example, if Hays is called up today and spends the rest of the year on our roster, he'll accrue 28 days of service time.     There are about 185 days in a season, and 172 days is considered a full season of service time.    So, if we hadn't called him up now, we could have left him off next year's OD roster, waited about 2 weeks to call him up, and he wouldn't have accrued a full year of service in 2018 and thus couldn't be a free agent until after the 2024 season.  But by calling him up now, we'd have to keep him in the minors about 6 weeks next year for him not to accrue his service time.     To avoid having him qualify as a Super Two after 2020 (which is less important, in my view), he'd need to stay in the minors for 2.5 - 3 months next season, instead of 1.5 - 2 months if he wasn't called up now.    

So the OD starters for 2018 are basically set:

• C - Joseph, maybe Castillo
  • 1B - Davis
  • 2B - Schoop
  • 3B - Machado
  • SS - Beckham
  • LF - Mancini
  • CF - Jones
  • RF - Hays
  • DH - Trumbo

I wish they could move Trumbo in favor of another LH bat but I don't see it happening.

Just now, Roy Firestone said:

I would start him without question tonight. What the hell is the point of starting the clock and NOT playing the kid? And he's a good defender too...and runs well.

Uh, giving him 24 hours to get acclimated to being in the clubhouse, etc.?    I really don't care if he starts tonight's game.   I would care if he warms the bench all month.    

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks...it would mean that unless he stays 2.5-3 months in minors next year that he could then see arbitration 4 times rather than 3?  Right?   Which if he is a big hit as a player could cost the old man millions more than if he only had three arbitration rounds? 

2 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

• 1B - Davis
  • 2B - Schoop
  • 3B - Machado
  • SS - Beckham
  • LF - Mancini
  • CF - Jones
  • RF - Hays
  • DH - Trumbo

I wish they could move Trumbo in favor of another LH bat but I don't see it happening.

Yeah, that's a really imbalanced lineup, with 8 RHB's.   At least Sisco's a lefty.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Wow, I was going to ask those very questions, and you've already answered them.  See, this is an example of why this is the best place to hangout.  Thank you.   

22 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

• 1B - Davis
  • 2B - Schoop
  • 3B - Machado
  • SS - Beckham
  • LF - Mancini
  • CF - Jones
  • RF - Hays
  • DH - Trumbo

DD probably will move Trumbo in the offseason. I can see Mullins being the LH bat that moves Mancini into the DH spot. 

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, that's a really imbalanced lineup, with 8 RHB's.   At least Sisco's a lefty.   

Sisco will make the opening day roster unless Castillo is resigned IMO.  Not sure how they divvy up starts, but I would expect Sisco to get the lion's share unless he really struggles out of the gate. 

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Guess they figure he's better than Rickard, they have a lot of chaff already on the 40-man roster so using an unnecessary one is not a big deal,  and they think he's going to be the right fielder next year. Heck, they might think he's the right fielder right now and they may not be wrong.

I pray we get rid of Trumbo or Davis (which is impossible) this offseason.  I don't care for Rickard, and Smith will be gone, but I want Hayes and Santander in the lineup next year and that can't happen with Davis, Trumbo, and Mancini taking up 3 of the 4 1B/DH/COF spots.

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Sisco will make the opening day roster unless Castillo is resigned IMO.  Not sure how they divvy up starts, but I would expect Sisco to get the lion's share unless he really struggles out of the gate. 

Probably. Or you could trade Joseph and make Wynns the backup. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think Stewart is closer.

I think time in Norfolk wouldn't kill either of them, really. Hays has beat down the door, so have Mullins and Stewart. We also have to factor in Adam, too. 

1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

DD probably will move Trumbo in the offseason. I can see Mullins being the LH bat that moves Mancini into the DH spot. 

For who?

Need to find an underperforming starter on another team with a bad contract.  Do we want to take one of those on? Only other option, is eating a portion of his contract in a salary dump.  

I think they may want to see if he can bounce back.  I agree, he should be moved before the season but it's going to be difficult.  A DH with a .700 to .750 OPS isn't worth more than the league minimum these days and he's got 2/25 left on his contract.