.500+ record, or no. 13 overall draft pick?

Frobby

As of today, the O's are tied for the 13th-worst record in baseball.   If they finish at .500+, they could end up passing 5 other teams in the standings and getting the 18th pick rather than the 13th.     Is it worth the 5 draft slots to you for us to finish at .500+ for the sixth year in a row?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a good question and it is one that is viewed differently than through the prism of 14 straight dark losing seasons.  At this point, I would prefer the 13th pick.  But, I would have to ask do we miss the chance to get the young players that are up the beset bang for their experience.   I don't know that, but winning is always better.  

Also, I might view the question differently if I had insight to what the Front Office and ownership might be thinking.  The end of this seasons is big deal, with some of the biggest questions the franchise has faced really since Buck and DD landed here.  

Short answer, Id prefer 13th, but I'm pretty shaky on it.

Finishing .500 means nothing to me (this year). I wouldn't throw the games, but 13th is a little better than 18th so that's one small positive about a September swoon (but pretty small really). I would rather see the rookies get at bats for the rest of the season, but I don't really think that will affect the final number of wins. Those guys are likely to out hit Rickard, Trumbo, et al. anyway. 

Not to me. This season has been so frustrating that finishing at .500 would still leave a bad memory. I think it is more important to the future of the O's that Hays play every day, that Sisco and maybe Santander get ABs at DH at least, that we determine if Mancini can stick at LF. I believe we have drafted well the last few years so I'm willing to finish lower and trust that we will still find a good prospect.

27 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Finishing .500 means nothing to me (this year). I wouldn't throw the games, but 13th is a little better than 18th so that's one small positive about a September swoon (but pretty small really). I would rather see the rookies get at bats for the rest of the season, but I. don't really think that will affect the final number of wins. Those guys are likely to out hit Rickard, Trumbo, et al. anyway. 

Right.  After 5 plus years of success, to me winning baseball is no longer enough.  That is the byproduct of success.  I want a World Series not a team that could make it if everything went right.  I get you have to be in it to win it.  I do, and every Oriole fan understands as 1969 and 1979 proved, that being the best doesn't guarantee anything.  But we have knocked at the door and haven't really gotten in.  It will be hard to say in Oct hey...nice job of winning 81 or 82.  Or 78..

It is time to expect more.  And I understand that there are many here who do not think that is possible.  I disagree.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

As of today, the O's are tied for the 13th-worst record in baseball.   If they finish at .500+, they could end up passing 5 other teams in the standings and getting the 18th pick rather than the 13th.     Is it worth the 5 draft slots to you for us to finish at .500+ for the sixth year in a row?

It doesn't matter. Whoever does the drafting for the O's will foul it up. 

I'll be the oddball... for once.  Well, maybe not just once.  Yes, avoiding finishing under .500 makes a difference to me.  Under .500 means... you're below average... or bad.  I don't want to be called "Below Average Ruz".  Set the BAR higher.  

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I want to win and then win some more regardless of where we pick.  

I think that's where I come out, whether or not it's rational.    I have 12 games to watch, and I far prefer watching wins.    In fact, I've been watching less and less lately because it hasn't been fun. 

o

I always root for the Orioles to win, and every game, regardless of the situation that the Orioles are in, is important to me.

If the Orioles can win the World Series instead of just making it there, that (obviously) matters to me.

If the Orioles can make it to the World Series and lose instead of losing in the ALCS, it matters to me.

If the Orioles can have a winning seasons instead of a .500 season, it matters to me.

If the Orioles can go .500 instead of having a losing season, it matters to me.

If the Orioles can avoid losing 100 games while having a losing season (as they did between 1998 and 2011), it matters to me.

Some of the above sequences are more important than others ...... but regardless of the situation, I always get something out of any kind Orioles success when they play, no matter how seemingly trivial or how important that success may appear to be.

o

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I want the number 13 pick.  This season is over, let's get the best we can for the future. It is a no brainer to go for the best pick.

Archived