Complete 2008 Draft list w/updated signings as of 8/5

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corey Thomas has signed:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/preps/2008/06/thomas-signs-wi.html

Former Middleton P/SS Corey Thomas has signed a deal with the Baltimore Orioles, and reported to the organization's Gulf Coast League team in Sarasota Sunday, his advisor said.

Rich Arena, Thomas' advisor, said Thomas, who was drafted in the 13th round by the Orioles, completed a deal Saturday and was "treated fairly" by the Orioles. His deal is believed to be in the $100,000 range.

Thomas was signed to play at USF, but he made it clear that he would take advantage of the chance to turn pro if drafted. Even though he played shortstop at Middleton, the Orioles drafted him as a third baseman and want to see his bat develop. At USF, the belief was that he would likely pitch and occasionally play third.

I hate how long it takes some of these guys to sign. If I were a college guy drafted I'd sign the first day... I'd just be that eager to play.

For the higher picks or for guys highly regarded it is more important to try to get the best darn check they can get. Who knows if they get injured or they never get into the bigs?

Here's a video clip of Corey Thomas.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w_id=702605&w=/2008/open/draft/broll/br_thomas_corey_400.wmv&mid=200805302800040&pid=gen_video&vid=11071&cid=mlb&v=2

Really nice short, compact swing. Looks like he has good power. He looks much better as a hitter than a pitcher.

However, he looks like Hop-Along Cassidy running the bases. Very awkward fielding and running. Oh well, as long as he gets it done.

I love this list. Anyway to include links to the previous years' lists? I dug 'em up just to see the names from last year and before - would be nice to have an easy way to check them out without searching through the previous year archives.

Just a thought. Nice job w/ the 2008 list.

I love this list. Anyway to include links to the previous years' lists? I dug 'em up just to see the names from last year and before - would be nice to have an easy way to check them out without searching through the previous year archives.

McLovin made a thread in the amateur draft section. Doesn't tell whether they signed or not, but it does list the picks.

Previous lists are here and here.

Archived