June 8th Vs. Toronto

Palmer Esque

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Trachsel the most likely to go for a hitter during interleague play, it will be interesting to see who will go to make room for the relievers when they come back.

The only players that dont deserve their role anymore are the expensive vets. Booo.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• My thoughts: Judge looks like he's not aging well. He just looks un-athletic. I anticipate regression with him becoming a one-dimensional player soon. Soto is a good hitter. I'm not sure why anyone would pitch to him. He's the one guy in the lineup you don't let beat you. Stanton is now what Judge looks like he will become. He's a shadow of his former self. Their closer is very good.  Rodon looks like his best days are behind him. Completely hittable. To use an old Chick Hearn phrase, "the mustard has come off the hotdog," with regard to Cortez. He's not fooling guys anymore. The franchise in general is very un-Yankeelike. They used to be the organization that was light-years ahead of everyone else. Not anymore. They just don't play fundementally sound baseball anymore. Their defense was exposed in the series. Their situational hitting was poor. Boone seems a bit lost at times. They just don't look like the Yankees. 
    • I chuckled when I checked the box score. 0-2 with 4 BB is a very "minor league pitching" kind of line. 
    • I think Holliday is still the priority. I honestly think his swing was ready for AA/AAA pitchers, but not ML stuff. He has to shorten up. Get to contact first. Get to power later. He was trying to just jump to power and his swing got long. That said, his defense needed work too, so another month+ and my guess is he'll have re-established himself. I think Mayo started similarly to Holliday actually. Put up some video game numbers early, but struck out a ton and made bad errors. I really think both came out big D swinging and trying to mash the league. That won't play at the majors. You have to walk before you run. I think Mayo's doing that now. He's k'ing less and I haven't heard bad reports about his defense recently, though I could just be in the dark. I can see Mayo getting the Gunnar treatment, but I could also see him forcing his way up earlier.  So Holliday first, but not assuming that Mayo will wait until September. 
    • Playing catch is better than being fully shut down. If there was something more serious, he wouldn't be playing catch. I think they're probably continuing to test the level of inflammation to determine when to start ramping him back up? Just guessing.  There's also no rush to fire him back up, so you might as well take your time with it. 
    • Oh man, I was expecting CoC to start a thread about Elly De La Cruz.  
    • It is remarkable to have three shortstops at age 21-22 with the talent of Henderson, De La Cruz and Witt all blossoming into superstars in such a short time window. It would be interesting to see a real deep dive analysis with assessments from scouts and execs comparing the three. I have a bias toward Gunnar and see him far more than the other two, but objectively, I am not even sure who you would pick if you could take one of the three. It would be a hard call. One good thing is that after this weekend, the O's won't face either Witt or De La Cruz again this season, until October, if then.
  • Popular Contributors