R.A. Dickey?

TommyPickles

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They are no longer 43.

When Phil Niekro was 43, he went 17-4 with 3.61 ERA for the Braves...he won 16 games with a 4.6 WAR two years later at 45...When Hoyt was 43,  he had a 1.66 ERA in 46 appearances for the White Sox out of the pen..

Give me R.A.  ! 

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

When Phil Niekro was 43, he went 17-4 with 3.61 ERA for the Braves...he won 16 games with a 4.6 WAR two years later at 45...When Hoyt was 43,  he had a 1.66 ERA in 46 appearances for the White Sox out of the pen..

Give me R.A.  ! 

When Tim Wakefield was 43 he went 4-10 with a 5.34 ERA for the Red Sox.

Hard to go 4-10 on an 89 win team.

Well as a 42 year old he would have been:

(Among qualified Oriole starters)

1st in IP

2nd in ERA

2nd in WAR

3rd in WHIP

Not to mention he won a Cy Young at 37. He pitched in the AL East as a 38 year old (224.2 IP, 4.21 ERA), as a 39 year old (215.2, 3.71 ERA), and as a 40 year old (214.1 IP, 3.91 ERA).

He could be even better than a #5 starter next year. He could not be too. I'm intrigued.

16 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

The Braves just declined Dickey's 8 mil option for next year. He just turned 43 years old and would probably accept a one-year deal (if he wants to keep playing).  Could he be an option for the Os and their all-in on 2018 strategy?

Take a look at some of his 2017 numbers:

Dickey- 4.26 ERA over 31 starts and 190.0 IP. 2.2 WAR.

Bundy- 4.24 ERA over 28 starts and 169.2 IP.  2.7 WAR.

Gausman- 4.68 ERA over 34 starts and 186.2 IP.  1.8 WAR.

Seems like a pretty safe bet to give us around 200 IP and under a 4.50 ERA. 

13 hours ago, murph said:

Had no idea Dickey was already in his 40's.  I read his book and came across as a good guy and worked hard to find the knuckleball.  I'm for it as 5th starter.  

Buck was the one who encouraged him to try the knuckler, if I recall correctly.    

Considering the O's realistic options for the rotation I would really like to see Dickey signed. Obviously there had better be more than one SP signed and the other in this scenario should have a much higher upside than Dickey but as a backend starter he would be awesome. 

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Buck was the one who encouraged him to try the knuckler, if I recall correctly.    

From ESPN:

Said Dickey about Showalter: "I would be remiss if I didn't say thank you to him. He's the one that gave me the opportunity to cultivate that pitch at the foundational levels down in the minor leagues with the Texas Rangers. He believed I could do it. Now, it took a while for me to get it. He gave me the ...

"I'm trying to think of the right word.

"He gave me the canvas to be able to operate on. He was the guy; he and Orel kind of pushed me in that direction. I'm thankful they did."

Arguably, Dickey has reinvented not only himself but also the knuckleball. He seemingly has pinpoint control of where it flutters in the strike zone, unlike his knuckleball predecessors. That's an overly dramatic assertion, according to Dickey. The statistics, calculated by the Elias Sports Bureau, are incredible nonetheless:

Archived