Brian Roberts trade rumors back on!

ed101elove

Somebody else said it awhile back, but if LaPorta isn't more valuable than Wieters, it's darn close at least. Wieters plays a premium position, but offensively, LaPorta is matching Wieters but at a higher level.

Personally I think the Brewers have to love the position they're in with all of the great options this promising group of young position players offers them, and they'd have to be bowled over with a trade offer to cut down on those options.

I understand the sentiment to sell one or more of these assets to upgrade now, but IMO the Brewers will be much more reluctant to deal these guys than some here assume.

I do think the O's are in a unique position of being able to offer a very good solution (esp if Cabrera keeps pitching well) to nearly all of their problems. Any combination of Cabrera, Roberts, and Sherrill would be very good for Milwaukee.

That said, I don't see Laporta coming back unless two of our guys are going over and he's the biggest piece in the deal (and the bulk of the deal).

Something like Roberts and Cabrera for LaPorta, Weeks, and Escobar might work, but I won't hold my breath. We also have to decide if we wanna throw all of our chips into one basket. MacPhail has hedged his bets a lot, going for a lot of quantity in all the deals he's made. I'd be surprised if he packaged 2-3 of our best trade pieces to get one really high quality piece rather than send them all seperate places and try to get 2- or 3-1 deals. Although he's also gotta start thinking about 40-man roster problems, so maybe this would be a good time to pony up for a few really premium pieces.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do think the O's are in a unique position of being able to offer a very good solution (esp if Cabrera keeps pitching well) to nearly all of their problems. Any combination of Cabrera, Roberts, and Sherrill would be very good for Milwaukee.

That said, I don't see Laporta coming back unless two of our guys are going over and he's the biggest piece in the deal (and the bulk of the deal).

Something like Roberts and Cabrera for LaPorta, Weeks, and Escobar might work, but I won't hold my breath. We also have to decide if we wanna throw all of our chips into one basket. MacPhail has hedged his bets a lot, going for a lot of quantity in all the deals he's made. I'd be surprised if he packaged 2-3 of our best trade pieces to get one really high quality piece rather than send them all seperate places and try to get 2- or 3-1 deals. Although he's also gotta start thinking about 40-man roster problems, so maybe this would be a good time to pony up for a few really premium pieces.

Throw in Sherrill and give me Gamel and we will take on Halls contract. Or what about Throwing in Sherrill and a prospect if it ment them inlcuding Gamel. What are everyones feelings on Parra? Should we be asking about him? Is he to risky?

I want to be a little clearer in my thoughts.

WE ARE NOT GETTING LAPORTA!

I don't know why not? They have Braun and Hart in the corner outfield spots (LaPorta position). Prince is at 1st but I don't see LaPorta being a 1st baseman since he has played only 1 game there according to baseball-reference.

Seems like he can be moved for something they need.

I don't know why not? They have Braun and Hart in the corner outfield spots (LaPorta position). Prince is at 1st but I don't see LaPorta being a 1st baseman since he has played only 1 game there according to baseball-reference.

Hart could be moved to CF. He's played there some before this year.

LaPorta played 1B in college, IIRC.

What about BRob and DCab for Fielder, Weeks and Escobar.

What about BRob and DCab for Fielder, Weeks and Escobar.

They could get more than that if they move Fielder. Plus, moving Fielder is more of an offseason deal. They would weaken themselves inseason to do that.

They could get more than that if they move Fielder. Plus, moving Fielder is more of an offseason deal. They would weaken themselves inseason to do that.
Agreed, Fielder may or may not be moved in the offseason, but he definitely won't be moved during the season.

I think Fielder goes to one of the losers of the Tex race this offseason, most likely the Yankees, IMO.

Agreed, Fielder may or may not be moved in the offseason, but he definitely won't be moved during the season.

I think Fielder goes to one of the losers of the Tex race this offseason, most likely the Yankees, IMO.

If Fielder goes to the losers of the Tex Race, he may be coming to Baltimore. But I don't think so. No reason to give up prospects for a big hitter, than not be able to sign him 2 years later like the Braves did for Tex.

If Fielder goes to the losers of the Tex Race, he may be coming to Baltimore. But I don't think so. No reason to give up prospects for a big hitter, than not be able to sign him 2 years later like the Braves did for Tex.

Fielder will probably be with the Mets, Yankees, Rangers, or maybe (probably not) the Tigers. I doubt he would come here and I think the tail end of whatever deal he winds up getting after traded will be pretty bad. He seems like a guy who will decline in ability quickly.

Although he's also gotta start thinking about 40-man roster problems, so maybe this would be a good time to pony up for a few really premium pieces.

My first thought was, "your kidding, right." :D I suspect that there are several players that could easily be removed from the 40 man roster to accommodate a top 25 (all of baseball) type prospect. Let's see Deza, Trachsel, Cintron, Fahey, Torres, Fiorentino could easily be dropped. Baez and Patton could be moved to the 60 day. Payton, Huff and Millar could be moved in smaller trades for prospects that don't need to go on the ML roster, yet.

No I'm not. LaPorta is probably a top-10 prospect in baseball at this point. Nobody is gonna offer a player of that caliber for Cabrera, IMO.

1-1 you are right...But we would get a better overall package, with more players who will all be very solid prospects themselves.

If this is the mindset you have no shot at predicting a deal with MIL. You wouldn't trade Cabrera for maybe the best power bat out of last year's draft -- a bat who is already dominating in the minors and has shown enough athleticism to play a corner outfield position or 1b?

I would probably make that trade but if DCab keeps pitching this way, we will definitely get a better package than just 1 guy.

Sherrill's peripherals suggest he is not an elite closer. He just has a lot of saves, which we all know is a stat that poorly relates to closing ability. He lets too many guys on base and generates a paltry 25% groundball rate. This guys peripherals are only a shade above Chris Ray's during his 2 year stretch of dominance.

People back then said Ray was a great closer. They did.

People now say Sherrill is a great closer. They are.

Sherrill is better than Ray, slightly . . . but neither are great closers.

Other teams would be interested in Sherrill because he has a good personality for a closer's role and is cost-controlled.

A lot of saves and a low ERA is all it will take for the GMs to pay a lot for Sherrill...You should know this.

Archived