Britton Out 6 months per Rosenthal

Rene88

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Uh oh, here come all the posts pointing out that ZB is "on the wrong side of 30."

He is on the  wrong side of 30, and he should be cut.

But this is the O's who do a wonderful job of paying top dollar to non performers, going back to B-Rob continuing thru Matusz, Hardy, O'day, CD, Trumbo, and now Britton.

Some folks would add Ubaldo, Gallardo, and Miley. The money we pay for below replacement level output is astounding... and yet we keep ponying up to the table

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He is on the  wrong side of 30, and he should be cut.

But this is the O's who do a wonderful job of paying top dollar to non performers, going back to B-Rob continuing thru Matusz, Hardy, O'day, CD, Trumbo, and now Britton.

Some folks would add Ubaldo, Gallardo, and Miley. The money we pay for below replacement level output is astounding... and yet we keep ponying up to the table

WB,

Do you ever put your brain into gear, before flinging your blame game? You hate everything this team does, so which baseball team do you root for?

Hardy was under paid and producing over a 3 war for 4 years when he got his extension and he passed the very rough Oriole physical, but, yes, I know, your crystal ball knew he was going to be injured.

Ripken Jr produced all the way until he was 39, before he held on one year too long.

O'Day is not overpaid by much, 7 mil and .6 war (which is WAR is worth 8.5m), sorry he had an down year, like just about the whole team did, last I checked .6 WAR was above a replacement player.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

WB,

Do you ever put your brain into gear, before flinging your blame game? You hate everything this team does, so which baseball team do you root for?

Hardy was under paid and producing over a 3 war for 4 years when he got his extension and he passed the very rough Oriole physical, but, yes, I know, your crystal ball knew he was going to be injured.

Ripken Jr produced all the way until he was 39, before he held on one year too long.

O'Day is not overpaid by much, 7 mil and .6 war (which is WAR is worth 8.5m), sorry he had an down year, like just about the whole team did, last I checked .6 WAR was above a replacement player.

Okay so you are on record for wanting to  pay Britton for 2018?

and I suspect you'd be behind an extension for say 3/30?

Paying Britton is a waste of money... I don't need a crystal ball, in a couple years I will be right again, just like I was with BRob, Hardy, O'day, and CD even before the ink was dry on the dreadful contracts that the O's gave out.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Paying Britton is a waste of money... I don't need a crystal ball, in a couple years I will be right again, just like I was with BRob, Hardy, O'day, and CD even before the ink was dry on the dreadful contracts that the O's gave out.

Blind squirrels find nuts every so often.  If you hate everything the team does you're bound to be right sooner or later.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Blind squirrels find nuts every so often.  If you hate everything the team does you're bound to be right sooner or later.

LOL, Well I guess if you disagree ("hate", very bad word) with everything the O's FO does you are right more like 95% of the time. Don't really have any data on blind squirrels.

42 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Okay so you are on record for wanting to  pay Britton for 2018?

and I suspect you'd be behind an extension for say 3/30?

I don't always agree with you, but I think you're right on Britton.    As to the list above, you weren't posting here when we signed BRob, so I don't know what your position was there (though I feel his concussion was a freak thing that could have happened at any age).    You were proven right on Hardy, and will be right on CD barring a miracle.    In my opinion, the jury is still out on O'Day.   He's slightly underwater for his contract in its first two years, but not a lot, and I thought he was terrific in the second half last year.    I'm coming into 2018 optimistic about how he'll do this year (unlike CD, who I am very pessimistic about).

On 12/21/2017 at 8:26 AM, webbrick2010 said:

What they should have done:

Trade him after 2016 for a nice haul

What they should do now:

Release him and re-coup 10 million of payroll

What they will do:

Sign him to a 2-3 year contract, paying for his re-hab and than overpaying him for 2019 and beyond when it turns out that he never returns to anything close to his 2016 form

Britton is one of Buck's guys, part of the core that helped the team to tye post-season and was supposed to do it again. I hope that doesn't lead the Orioles to screw this up, but I wouldn't be surprised. 

Talk of releasing him should be muted, from what I’ve been told. It’s complicated, but Britton would receive his full salary despite no resolution for 2018 after the Orioles tendered him a contract. They remain encouraged by the possibility of his return before the All-Star break. The procedure to repair his Achilles turned out exactly as hoped.

Whether it’s in May, June or July, Britton can be an asset to the club through his pitching or appeal as a trade chip. The Orioles don’t seem interested in just handing him over to another team.

It doesn’t make sense for a variety of reasons - financially, competitively and based on the loyalty he’s accrued over the years.

The idea of letting him go was described as “probably not even a remote possibility.” Britton didn’t seem sure of it the day before his surgery. Then again, he’s been wondering for more than a year whether the Orioles would continue to give him raises as a closer after they traded Jim Johnson to avoid being on the hook for a projected $10 million salary.

Though the Orioles were open again to trading Britton at the Winter Meetings, five months after almost sending him to the Astros, I’ve been told that there’s now a curiosity over the chances of negotiating an extension. Whether the surgery could lead to a deal that works for both sides.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/12/could-zach-britton-get-an-extension-and-become-a-starter-again.html

To be clear, the ability to release a player and pay only 30 days’ salary applies when a player is released “for failure to exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability.”     My reading of that is that you can’t get out of paying a player who is injured on those grounds.    So I don’t think this is a case of the O’s deciding to keep and pay Britton; it appears they don’t have a choice.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

To be clear, the ability to release a player and pay only 30 days’ salary applies when a player is released “for failure to exhibit sufficient skill or competitive ability.”     My reading of that is that you can’t get out of paying a player who is injured on those grounds.    So I don’t think this is a case of the O’s deciding to keep and pay Britton; it appears they don’t have a choice.   

I'd would agree. He is an Oriole at whatever rate they agree to. 

I believe  Frobby and Weams to be correct. I was listening to the Hot Stove show on The Fan 105.7 last Thursday and the people on there specifically said that once the O's tendered Britton a contract they were on the hook for the full amount, even if they cut him. So, cutting his would not benefit the O's economically. 

3 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Didn’t see this posted anywhere but this article says the team is considering moving Britton to a starter.  More disasters from our vision team :

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/12/24/report-zach-britton-could-convert-to-the-rotation-in-2018/

That was just someone running with what Roch said the other day.

Archived