Seth Smith?

johnnyb

Mark Reynolds hit 30 HR and had an OPS over .800 right?   Seems like that should be worth some kind of major league deal.

Jose Bautista is older and didn't hit super well last year (.674),  but I'm surprised no one is even interested in a flyer there either.

12 hours ago, johnnyb said:

Seems odd that a .744 OPS competent outfield with good on-base skills could not even garner a minor league deal by now.   

At 35, it's doubtful that he wants to go back to AAA and his declining skill sets really don't garner a major league deal at this time. He also doesn't seem to be a guy who plays well with sporadic playing time thoug his pinch hitting numbers over his career are pretty good (.288/.387/.506/.893). That could help him land a National League pinch hitter role.

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Mark Reynolds hit 30 HR and had an OPS over .800 right?   Seems like that should be worth some kind of major league deal.

Jose Bautista is older and didn't hit super well last year (.674),  but I'm surprised no one is even interested in a flyer there either.

Reynold's away from Coors Field numbers last year probably are not helping him (.242/.311/.392/.703). 

I think teams are figuring out that they would rather pay league minimum salaries for limited production.

Smith, Bautista, and Werth are really not worth a couple of million dollars at this point.

There was a time when bottom and rebuilding teams would justify a player like this for their"experience", but it doesn't appear to be there anymore.

I'm more surprised that some of the pitching available hasn't signed considering the lack of depth on some teams. Baltimore...hello!

I think the guy that surprises me most, actually, is Melky Cabrera. I'd imagine we'll see a few of those aging OF bats sign throughout baseball over the course of April into May on minor league (get-me-ready) deals with opt outs as insurance policies.

Archived