40-man roster spots needed

fearthenoodle

O's will need 40-man roster spots for Gentry, Alvarez, Rasmus and Valencia. Who gets the ax? Possibilities:

Stefan Crichton

Michael Kelly

Alec Asher

Engelb Vielma

Jesus Liranzo

Jimmy Yacabonis

Chris Lee

Joey Rickard

I think all the names come off this list, and probably at least 3 will be pitchers. Crichton and Kelly are definites in my opinion. I think Asher is a good bet as a non-prospect, nondescript RHP.  

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here is my guess.

The O's will DFA the players that are most likely to pass through waivers and can be outrighted to the Tides.   Crichton, Kelly and Vielma.  Lee recalled to the Orioles and played on the 60 day DL.

Not a bad guess. I'm going to go with Asher over Lee although that's a plausible scenario. I imagine some or all of those guys are already on waivers trying to pass them through before Thursday.

My guesses on this list:

Stefan Crichton - GONE

Michael Kelly - GONE

Alec Asher - GONE

Engelb Vielma - Safe for now, this team loves its middle infield depth

Jesus Liranzo - Still young

Jimmy Yacabonis - I think they follow through on starter experiment at least for a couple months.

Chris Lee - Transferred to 60-day DL

Joey Rickard - Safe for now. He's the primary back up in case of OF injuries for the time being. I can see him getting DFAed later in the year after Mullins and Hays are deemed ready. Still, think he's safe as a Gentry replacement for now (as they don't want Hays or Mullins up until they can play mostly everyday.

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

Joey Rickard - Safe for now. He's the primary back up in case of OF injuries for the time being. I can see him getting DFAed later in the year after Mullins and Hays are deemed ready. Still, think he's safe as a Gentry replacement for now (as they don't want Hays or Mullins up until they can play mostly everyday.

Once the roster moves happen, they'll have 7 OF'ers on the 40-man , and he's clearly the 7th. Plus they'll have Presley and Brugman at Norfolk, and Stewart and Mullins knocking on the door as well.

His time might not be now, but it's probably a lot closer than we think given how much run he's been given the last couple of years.

5 minutes ago, fearthenoodle said:

Once the roster moves happen, they'll have 7 OF'ers on the 40-man , and he's clearly the 7th. Plus they'll have Presley and Brugman at Norfolk, and Stewart and Mullins knocking on the door as well.

His time might not be now, but it's probably a lot closer than we think given how much run he's been given the last couple of years.

I believe his day is today. 

I don't think Joey will be DFA because someone would claim him.    He is 26 with almost 2 years of major league experience.    He was rushed to the majors through the Rule 5 draft.  He has a 382 OBP at AA and a 404 OBP at AAA.    But he has only played 42 games in AAA.   He has two options left not counting the one that was used for this season.   He has speed.  His defense has improved.

The O's need to let him play  at AAA.  He might turn into a valuable player later this season.

6 hours ago, fearthenoodle said:

O's will need 40-man roster spots for Gentry, Alvarez, Rasmus and Valencia. Who gets the ax? Possibilities:

Stefan Crichton

Michael Kelly

Alec Asher

Engelb Vielma

Jesus Liranzo

Jimmy Yacabonis

Chris Lee

Joey Rickard

I think all the names come off this list, and probably at least 3 will be pitchers. Crichton and Kelly are definites in my opinion. I think Asher is a good bet as a non-prospect, nondescript RHP.  

Good thread. I’d handicap this at the bottom of the 40 man. My predictions, 

DFA-Kelly

DFA-Vielma

DFA-Chricton

15 Day DL -Ynoa ( out of options, but hurt)

60 day DL - Lee ( hurt) 

Archived