The defense thread, 2018

Frobby

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Take a look at who was involved with that play. Those were all "younger" guys.  I hope Peterson is not on the team next year, Valera is riding the Norfolk shuttle, and Villar is not playing SS. 

I understand what you are saying but younger not young.28,27 and 26.They are filler except for Villar.Agree with all your points Orioles still need a SS and 3B that can field well.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Going Underground said:

I understand what you are saying but younger not young.28,27 and 26.They are filler except for Villar.Agree with all your points Orioles still need a SS and 3B that can field well.

I hear you. I think Beckham has basically failed as a SS (not surprising given his playing history). It's pretty sad that the Orioles really have no one lined up to play on the left side of the infield. I hope they can acquire a young or youngish good defensive SS. A crappy defense doesn't seem conducive to developing young pitchers. If they play Peterson, Valera, etc., next year then it is going to be a very, very painful year. I know they are going to lose a lot of games, but I pray they can field a competent defense. Sloppy play is harder to watch than wimpy hitting, etc., for me. 

I saw the Villar replay and it was tremendous!

But I also see an OF assist for Mullins (Healy at home) in boxscore.  Did anyone catch that?  I did see a relay PO via Beckham to Villar at 2B and a throw in that missed cutoff men but don't see any replays of that assist.

On 9/3/2018 at 11:40 AM, Ohfan67 said:

I hear you. I think Beckham has basically failed as a SS (not surprising given his playing history). It's pretty sad that the Orioles really have no one lined up to play on the left side of the infield. I hope they can acquire a young or youngish good defensive SS. A crappy defense doesn't seem conducive to developing young pitchers. If they play Peterson, Valera, etc., next year then it is going to be a very, very painful year. I know they are going to lose a lot of games, but I pray they can field a competent defense. Sloppy play is harder to watch than wimpy hitting, etc., for me. 

I would like to see Beckham moved to 3B and Wilkerson can play SS.  The O's are going to loss 100+ games next year regardless of who is playing SS.  I guess a good target for next trade deadline would be moving one or more of the O's veterans for a top SS prospect.  Almost all the top middle infielder prospects are international, mostly Caribbean players, which we know the O's have avoided that market for years.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/18)

Steve Wilkerson single-handedly sunk Bundy and company in the 7th inning.

First, he flubbed an inning-ending double play by double-clutching AND throwing the ball low to the 2nd baseman.

Then on a routine ground ball which would have ALSO ended the inning, he threw the ball in the dirt, which allowed 2 runs to score.

o

17 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 9/18)

Steve Wilkerson single-handedly sunk Bundy and company in the 7th inning.

First, he flubbed an inning-ending double play by double-clutching AND throwing the ball low to the 2nd baseman.

Then on a routine ground ball which would have ALSO ended the inning, he threw the ball in the dirt, which allowed 2 runs to score.

o

First game in over a month.

26 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

First game in over a month.

25 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Mancini didn’t exactly look gold glove on that throw from Wilkerson. I would give an assist on the error. Orioles Teamwork in action. 

Are you two publicists for Wilkerson?

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Are you two publicists for Wilkerson?

No, I just am a realist. Do people really need to tell a guy to retire after 1 game? Or should we, you know, give it a few games? 

When Nunez came up, I was skeptical of his defense. He was awful. Now, he actually does a decent job. Imagine that, he was given some time and showed something good. Amazing.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

No, I just am a realist. Do people really need to tell a guy to retire after 1 game? Or should we, you know, give it a few games? 

When Nunez came up, I was skeptical of his defense. He was awful. Now, he actually does a decent job. Imagine that, he was given some time and showed something good. Amazing.

Nunez was awful but Wilkerson just needs time? Got it. 

Seriously, I remember him making a few spectacular plays before the injury. I just don’t like making excuses for guys. I’m more prone to give guys some slack after not seeing ML pitching. He had time defensively in rehab games. 

Archived