Cal Moving On: Literally and Figuratively

Just Regular

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

His kids are grown and gone, he's divorced.  Doesn't have teammates coming by anymore to work out.  12k square feet and 25 acres is a lot when you're pretty much an empty nester.  He might have enough money to keep it but it sounds like his priorities have shifted and while he might be able to keep it, he doesn't need to.

That was pretty much the impression I got.

16 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anyway, Cal's house sounds pretty awesome.  Interesting that its going to auction, wonder why it hasn't sold yet.  Yeah, not a lot of people can afford a place like that, but there are buyers out there who value a close proximity to a city but want to retain privacy.  I'd think that a Ravens player would want it due to all the built in athletic stuff that he's got.  

$10 mil is a lot for anyone, even a pro athlete. There are probably only a couple guys on the Ravens who could afford it, and most of them probably don't want to live in Baltimore long term. 

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

$10 mil is a lot for anyone, even a pro athlete. There are probably only a couple guys on the Ravens who could afford it, and most of them probably don't want to live in Baltimore long term. 

Also most people with 10 million for a house would not want a house with a built in basketball building.  You personalize a house too much and it detracts from value.  Maybe if Baltimore had an NBA team it would be sold easier. 

I might go to one of the open houses.  

13 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Maybe Adrian Beltre will buy the place.

This got me to wondering how much money Beltre had made compared to Ripken.    They’re basically one generation apart, with Cal’s career overlapping Beltre’s by four years.    Both are first-ballot hall of famers, with pretty similar career value (Ripken 95.9 rWAR, Beltre 93.8).    

The answer is that Cal made $70.7 mm, Beltre has made $201.1 mm.   The price of star players has escalated a lot in the last 17 years.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This got me to wondering how much money Beltre had made compared to Ripken.    They’re basically one generation apart, with Cal’s career overlapping Beltre’s by four years.    Both are first-ballot hall of famers, with pretty similar career value (Ripken 95.9 rWAR, Beltre 93.8).    

The answer is that Cal made $70.7 mm, Beltre has made $201.1 mm.   The price of star players has escalated a lot in the last 17 years.   

70.7 million in his day, translates to more than 70.7 million in these days.

26 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

70.7 million in his day, translates to more than 70.7 million in these days.

Spot on.  

Beyond inflation, if Ripken saved some of his money, then he's doing more than fine.

If you invested $1 in april 1982 (start of Ripken's rookie year) in the S&P 500, by april 1998 (Beltre's rookie year) you would have approximately $8.56. That represents ~15% annual return, so that specific window is better than normal, but still illustrative.

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Spot on.  

Beyond inflation, if Ripken saved some of his money, then he's doing more than fine.

If you invested $1 in april 1982 (start of Ripken's rookie year) in the S&P 500, by april 1998 (Beltre's rookie year) you would have approximately $8.56. That represents ~15% annual return, so that specific window is better than normal, but still illustrative.

Thats true.

But, not what I was talking about.

$1 million in 1980 has the buying power of 3.2 million in todays economy:

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1000000&year=1980

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Thats true.

But, not what I was talking about.

$1 million in 1980 has the buying power of 3.2 million in todays economy:

https://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1000000&year=1980

I think even with taxes Ripken had a ton of money in today's dollars.  Also he made a lot of money on commercials for milk and others.  

Archived