Cal Moving On: Literally and Figuratively

Just Regular

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/cal-ripken-is-moving-on-literally-and-figuratively/2018/04/11/759c5f7c-3ce1-11e8-a7d1-e4efec6389f0_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b53b7883d3bb

Courtesy of the Mrs.  If too off topic for an off day, mods please relocate.  Place sounds amazing, and maybe even a buy low.  I had heard of the basketball court, but the replica locker room and Colts stuff was new to me.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/cal-ripken-is-moving-on-literally-and-figuratively/2018/04/11/759c5f7c-3ce1-11e8-a7d1-e4efec6389f0_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b53b7883d3bb

Courtesy of the Mrs.  If too off topic for an off day, mods please relocate.  Place sounds amazing, and maybe even a buy low.  I had heard of the basketball court, but the replica locker room and Colts stuff was new to me.

Perhaps Chris Davis could buy it and use the "laboratory" to fix his batting stance?  He can certainly afford it.  

I'm glad to hear the he's in a good place in his life.  The house is awesome, but even if I had the money, I dunno if I'd buy it.  It seems like it would always be "Cal's house," rather than my own, you know?

10 minutes ago, Natty said:

I guess his ex wife really wants the money. Divorce laws are what they are...

Pitiful.

Why's a divorce so expensive?

Cause it's worth it.

Wonder where it went wrong for them.  

Anyway, Cal's house sounds pretty awesome.  Interesting that its going to auction, wonder why it hasn't sold yet.  Yeah, not a lot of people can afford a place like that, but there are buyers out there who value a close proximity to a city but want to retain privacy.  I'd think that a Ravens player would want it due to all the built in athletic stuff that he's got.  

15 minutes ago, esmd said:

Seems to me he would have enough money that he could keep the house if he chose to.  But then again, maybe not.

His kids are grown and gone, he's divorced.  Doesn't have teammates coming by anymore to work out.  12k square feet and 25 acres is a lot when you're pretty much an empty nester.  He might have enough money to keep it but it sounds like his priorities have shifted and while he might be able to keep it, he doesn't need to.

25 minutes ago, esmd said:

Seems to me he would have enough money that he could keep the house if he chose to.  But then again, maybe not.

Agreed.  

That house is an albatross.  Probably costs a ton to maintain and he's not getting much out of it any more.  

I'm sure the divorce cost him, but I doubt it's a factor in selling his mansion.

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

That's a big downside to being a famous person it seems.  Their lives are not private. No privacy. That would drive me bananas. I don't care how many millions they make. Money does not make one happy. IMO 

2 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

1 hour ago, Natty said:

I guess his ex wife really wants the money. Divorce laws are what they are...

Pitiful.

There’s nothing in this article that suggests the house sale is in any way a part of the divorce, which was finalized two years ago.   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There’s nothing in this article that suggests the house sale is in any way a part of the divorce, which was finalized two years ago.   

What does"Courtesy of the Mrs." mean?

3 minutes ago, Natty said:

What does"Courtesy of the Mrs." mean?

I assume Mrs. OrioleDog sent him that article.    Or, he’s inferring that the house was sold due to ex-Mrs. Ripken, but there’s nothing in the article to suggest this.   

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

That's a big downside to being a famous person it seems.  Their lives are not private. No privacy. That would drive me bananas. I don't care how many millions they make. Money does not make one happy. IMO 

It's certainly ok to keep your head down and not bask in the adulation. I know some very important people that are not famous. 

Unique property to be sure. Auction makes sense if you want any prayer of selling and getting out of the hefty upkeep with your shirt still on.

Glad for Cal that things are seemingly looking up across the board. Class act as always- and at 57- God-willing- still a lot of good he can do for baseball. Go get ‘em Cal!

Archived