Renato Nunez Claimed from Texas

Legend_Of_Joey

Since he arrived in Baltimore, his swing has shortened some and he has impressed with his bat speed. I liked the bat immediately the first night when he hit a 2B down the left field line at 111 mph. What really impresses me is his hard work with Bobby Dickerson and how it shows in his play. At 24 years old, he’s interesting. 

In an interview with Roch Kubatko yesterday, he seemed humbled by his trials in the major leagues. He even called Bobby Dickerson, “Mr. Dickerson.” Respect. I love it.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

The guy can hit. He’s just not some big, lumbering, homer/strikeout guy. He’s looks like he has above average athleticism for a 3B. 

Someone mentioned he seems humbled.  Well hopefully that means he works his butt off with Dickerson. 

Here’s a question.... Better defensively at 3B right now, Nunez or Mountcastle?

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The guy can hit. He’s just not some big, lumbering, homer/strikeout guy. He’s looks like he has above average athleticism for a 3B. 

Someone mentioned he seems humbled.  Well hopefully that means he works his butt off with Dickerson. 

Nunez.

Both scare the hell out of me at 3rd...But Nunez.

Came across this when I was looking back at older IFA signings to get a sense of the correlation between ranking/bonus size and success. Was somewhat surprised to see that Renato Nunez got the 4th largest IFA bonus back in 2010 ($2.2M) per Baseball America, and he was MinorLeagueBall‘s #5 prospect in that international signing class.

There are probably a number of important takeaways from this information — but as to Nunez specifically, I was somewhat pleased to see that recent observations of bat speed and power potential are not just a flash in the plan but have been part of his pedigree and scouting report since the age of 16. To some degree, knowing that he was once considered a truly blue-chip talent makes me feel a little better about hoping that this guy might be “legit” and that something resembling his early performance in an Orioles uniform could be sustainable long-term. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nunez is definitely better and has a 3B. His defense has been improving and although he doesn't look like a plus defender, he also doesn't look like a liability over there. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Nice bump to 2nd in the batting order. Could he DH while Wilkerson (or someone else) plays 3b next year? How does his fielding compare to RM?

Wilkerson is better at 2B than 3B. I could see them manning 3B and 2B next year (Villar moved to SS) since they will be cheap options.

On 8/10/2018 at 6:59 AM, bobmc said:

So he's Ryan Mountcastle with an arm?  RE NAT O TUDE !  ⚾

On 8/10/2018 at 9:58 AM, Greg Pappas said:

I'm concerned that his odd 'double-clutching before throwing' is still happening. I'd have thought that they would have correcting this glaring issue.  Hopefully they will, because he's made a number of sure outs way too close at first base. 

I mentioned this in a game thread recently.

While his arm appears plenty strong enough for 3B, he has a habit of shuffling his feet after fielding to get in better throwing position. It’s led to more than one close play because of it and it’s something he needs to clean up.

• Upvote 1