Orioles Deal Gausman/O'Day to Braves - Schoop to Brewers

weams

Just now, Ruzious said:

But you've got to have a reason for hope.  I think the O's are short at least a couple of great prospects at this point to have reasonable hope.  

And taking less of a prospect return so you can clear O'Day's salary, is not how you obtain those great prospects. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's a grisly possibility. The desire to shed payroll could have escalated because the owner of the Orioles is near death, and  if he leaves the team to his sons that event will lead to an obligation of his estate to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in federal and state taxes. 

I still believe they are prepping for a sale this off season. Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ruzious said:

But you've got to have a reason for hope.  I think the O's are short at least a couple of great prospects at this point to have reasonable hope.  

I think VVM COULD be one of those prospects and Ortiz is a solid prospect, but I would have expected one of the Braves top minor league arms and another quality prospect. I kind of feel like the Orioles felt obligated to make these deals for some reason. Must be pressure from the board to cut payroll.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

O'day has to be in absolute shock right now. He surely didn't expect to be traded especially with him being on the DL. I certainly didn't expect him to be traded. I will miss him. He is a class act.

O'Day had to give permission as a 10/5 guy. So I'm guessing he is OK with this. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Jones agrees to a trade then we probably don’t have to salary dump O’day. But who knows. 

Jones perhaps gets through waivers like Bruce did last August, and the Front Office just asked him "Are you sure?" in a pretty vivid way.

On a macro level, I think today also says the next good team is beyond Bundy.  

Givens I think was smart to hold today - now we need to rest him, and let him compile saves, so he can be fresh and a Proven Closer next July.

2 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

O'day has to be in absolute shock right now. He surely didn't expect to be traded especially with him being on the DL. I certainly didn't expect him to be traded. I will miss him. He is a class act.

I expect he's happy - he gets to be in a penant race!

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's a grisly possibility. The desire to shed payroll could have escalated because the owner of the Orioles is near death, and  if he leaves the team to his sons that event will lead to an obligation of his estate to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in federal and state taxes. 

You really are fixated on that estate tax issue, aren’t you?  ?

I think most teams try to shed as much payroll as possible during a rebuild.  Save that money for another time when it will make a difference.   

I was expecting at least one great prospect back for Gausman and a few others who were at least on the level of a Kremer or Blannon. 

It does not appear we even got that. Three of these guys might not even rank in our top 20.  Encarnacion might have enough upside to sneak in the 15-20 range, but his K/BB is horrible and he's only in Low A, so a high risk to ever be a productive MLB player. 

Just now, Frobby said:

You really are fixated on that estate tax issue, aren’t you?  ?

I think most teams try to shed as much payroll as possible during a rebuild.  Save that money for another time when it will make a difference.   

Guessing they'll also drop ticket prices for a couple of years as well -- at least they should. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

4.22 career ERA (I know he's a little higher this year) pitching half of his games in the AL East.  Gausman is an innings eater and strike guys out when he needs to.  I think he's a solid # 2 starter in the NL.  His velocity has been fine.  

This was not a good return.  There should have been no rush to trade him if we weren't getting blown away.  We didn't get a single exciting prospect back IMO.  Four players with serious questions.  

Eh. The last two years have been very concerning. The quality of our defense hasn't helped him, but they can't catch all the homers he allows either. 

Gausman's pretty good. I think people were expecting an ace-like return for him, though.