Bruce Cunningham talks about the Orioles for 15 minutes

paulcoates

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher52 said:

Damn, I love that AJ Quote:

More Jones (and not in an angry tone): “Well, here’s the thing about society, everyone thinks that they know what’s best for the next person. Now, if someone wants to pay all my bills, trust me, they can tell me what to do. But until then, shut the hell up.”

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Not so great as a baseball fan, especially not when spending so much time on a message board just to be depressed/upset about everything that happens regardless. Too each their own though.

I wasn't depressed before they started trading off players.  You don't feel sad that players who have been here a long time are gone?  They were sad they had to leave.  I don't see that as being cynical.   It makes me human. 

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

AJ's comments sound like an angry dude, perhaps angry because he has no explanation/reason for passing on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I think you are probably the one who he is angry at.  Have you been posting on his twitter feed.  

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

I wasn't depressed before they started trading off players.  You don't feel sad that players who have been here a long time are gone?  They were sad they had to leave.  I don't see that as being cynical.   It makes me human. 

IDK man, I will say I haven't been around here as much as I have the past month or so recently but it seems like most of your posts have been pretty damn doom and gloom all the time. I get this team has been bad but we saw it coming and we are actually doing the right thing and DD is saying all the things we as fans want. 

Of course I'm sad that Manny, Schoop, Britton, Gaus (although not as much with Gaus) are gone. But we are the worst team in the league and having all of them got us no where. Half of them are expiring/will expire in next couple years and we'll still be in this rebuild. There was no other way.

Either way, this is a much better route that we're taking than we could have done. So far, over the past month with what is being said/PA being gone/farm system getting a major facelift, this is much better than the alternative.

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Oh come on.  I know I joke around a lot but that's kinda ridic.  @esmd is a good poster.

Thank you.  Now I'm sorry for asking if you were being intentionally obtuse in the trade thread.  Well, almost. :-P

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

AJ's comments sound like an angry dude, perhaps angry because he has no explanation/reason for passing on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

"Once in a lifetime?"  He has already been to the playoffs three times in the past six years.  He played in the ALCS in 2014.  There are no guarantees he will be traded to a team that would make it any farther, especially if he was traded to Philly or Cleveland.

He's angry because he earned the right to veto a trade and now has people like you questioning his motivation.  I assure you no GM will hold his decision against him this offseason.  If they don't show interest, it's because they don't think he's worth the money he wants due to his play on the field, not his decision to remain an Oriole for two more months.  

1 hour ago, esmd said:

I get what Jones is saying, and I agree, it's his decision.  He has every right to block it for whatever reason he chooses.  I'm just saying that it's somewhat disappointing on some level that he's prioritizing off the field issues over baseball.  Quite frankly, if I'm a team that would consider signing him this offseason, this would make me question that notion.  

I really hate this post and line of thinking.  You've just invented that he's not putting his full effort into baseball, simply based on the fact that it's reported he wants to oversee his charity for the rest of the season.  Why does being involved in helping people prevent him from being a good locker room guy and a hard worker?  He just turned 33 and has very consistently maintained the same BA/OBP for a good decade.  There's been no indication that he's anything but dedicated, so why even pursue this line of thinking? 

Adam Jones is a human being first, not a commodity.  We can all agree that he's earned his right to veto a trade and stay in the city, to not uproot his life for 3 months of playing for some other team he doesn't know.  But apparent'y we can't agree on whether the guy who's been a model Oriole for 11 seasons should be chased out of town, or questioned for not wanting to be sold off.  Do you really covet a PTBNL that badly?  I know some people might be excited about this rebuild, but calm yourselves down.  If Adam won't take a spot in the corner outfield for us next season, or if we just aren't interested in him period, then we won't re-sign him, and he'll move on.  That's fine.  But there's no need to fall over ourselves trying to make that happen today, or to question his commitment to his work because he doesn't want to be sold off in the middle of the year.

58 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

IDK man, I will say I haven't been around here as much as I have the past month or so recently but it seems like most of your posts have been pretty damn doom and gloom all the time. I get this team has been bad but we saw it coming and we are actually doing the right thing and DD is saying all the things we as fans want. 

Of course I'm sad that Manny, Schoop, Britton, Gaus (although not as much with Gaus) are gone. But we are the worst team in the league and having all of them got us no where. Half of them are expiring/will expire in next couple years and we'll still be in this rebuild. There was no other way.

Either way, this is a much better route that we're taking than we could have done. So far, over the past month with what is being said/PA being gone/farm system getting a major facelift, this is much better than the alternative.

Even if it is the right decision to trade off most of the players it still is depressing to see them all go at once.  Even not  a big Manny fan this year because of his having the manager play him out of position I was still sad to see him go.  

And the reason I am so negative this year is all the players playing out of position and terrible fielding and a guy making 160 million who refuses to bunt to get on base.  Trust me if we could have gotten rid of Trumbo or Davis by packaging him with Gausman I would be doing cartwheels with joy. 

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s anybody’s business to judge Adam Jones’ decision.    It’s personal to him and if he prefers to stay, that’s his right.    He’s been an absolute warrior for us and Team USA, and I would never, ever doubt his competitiveness.     I do think he may regret his decision now that DD has traded more key pieces away.    But maybe not.    It’s up to him.   

Right or wrong, his profession is open to criticism.  As a fan, it's absolutely open for judgement if his decision cost the team a prospect or two. Even though as I've said before, I doubt the return is even worth stressing over.

That being said, I'm an AJ fan and have no ill-will for his choice to stay. Hes been a great Oriole and an even greater member of Baltimore's community. He will be missed when he's no longer an Oriole.

I love Jones and he’s my favorite Orioles. That said, he didn’t need to come off so strong against fans who had an opinion on what he should do. Many of the people who said he should leave added that they wanted him to have a chance at a ring. His comments were not necessary in my opinion.

He could have said it was his decision to stay, he’s earned that, and there is nothing else to say. Adding that he’s happy fans wasted their time offering their opinion was not needed and comes off badly on Adam. 

This is the example of the “I hope it doesn’t get ugly thread.”

Archived