Bruce Cunningham talks about the Orioles for 15 minutes

paulcoates

Bot unless we offer him the Qualifying Offer and he turns it down.  Which isn't going to happen.  The O's aren't going to offer it, because he'd accept it if they did.  The QO would likely pay him as much in 1 year as he'll get on a multi-year deal as a FA.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, esmd said:

I think it's fine for anyone to have an opinion on it.  And I've said before, he's earned that right.  I'm not trying to slam him for it.  I'm just saying that this team, for various reasons, has checked out mentally, resulting in the play that has led to a 30-70 whatever record.  I think it's fair to wonder if that's a contributing factor.

I think it is easy to say that the team has "checked out mentally".  We do have the worst record in baseball, but I think that is more a result of talent than attitude.

I saw guys having a lot of fun at OPACY Saturday and Sunday, keeping it fresh, cheering each other on.  Tampa was the team booting balls all over the field.  

26 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

His profession exists for the sole purpose of allowing less talented individuals to talk about his performance and decisions.

I don't know about less talented. Have you seen him swing at low and away sliders?

16 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Can someone confirm the pool money they have? He says $3, I was thinking with what was added today it’s closer to $7.5 or $8 mil.

Yeah he meant add the 2.75 to the 5.5 we already had. Brittany Ghiroli tweeted that an MLB source stated that we have 8.25 million, the most by far.

6 hours ago, esmd said:

I love AJ, and he has every right to veto the deal, but the fact that he cares more about his charity then the chance to go play for a contender makes me wonder if that's a part of the team's problems.

Lmao. The guy cares more about kids in Baltimore city than playing 50 games for the Phillies, what a bad dude. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lmao. The guy cares more about kids in Baltimore city than playing 50 games for the Phillies, what a bad dude. 

I think you're missing the point. He was saying that Jones is more focused about stuff off the field than play on the field, which as a team leader sets a bad precedent and is not going to result in a winning team.

Nowhere did he say that Jones was a a bad guy, which is what you are insinuating.

Part of the problem is people equating criticism of the decision's impact on the team's ability to make a move, with saying he's a bad guy.  Nobody is making the argument exercising his rights and caring about charity makes him some kind of jerk.  

But if you want the team to be able to do everything they can to acquire talent and get better.  Jones vetoing trades doesnt help.  

Having said all that, I doubt anybody the Phillies woulda gave us would be all that intriguing.

I think a big part of Jones vetoing the trade was the fact that he would be the 4th outfielder in Philadelphia, which is something he really cannot talk about.  Jones staying does not prevent the Orioles bringing Mullins up to play center field, that is more of a Buck issue. 

9 hours ago, paulcoates said:

He says here that Jones turned down a deal to the Phils on Friday or Saturday and that Jones wants to stay here for the remainder of the year to see after his charity.

Does anyone believe this BS?

First off we are only talking 2, if the Phils are very lucky 3 months. Even with the O's half of the time he is on the road which will be the same if he was playing for Philly, and then he can get back to his charity full time.

Looks to me that AJ would rather hang onto playing CF for the worst team in ML baseball, than be a part time contributor on a pennant team. Sorry this very much puts his competitiveness in doubt, and AJ son you blew it.

2 hours ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

I think you're missing the point. He was saying that Jones is more focused about stuff off the field than play on the field, which as a team leader sets a bad precedent and is not going to result in a winning team.

Nowhere did he say that Jones was a a bad guy, which is what you are insinuating.

Thank you.

Archived