Bruce Cunningham talks about the Orioles for 15 minutes

paulcoates

I've always respected AJ as a leader, and a total team player. I also agree that AJ has every right to veto the trade, for whatever reason he so chooses.

If the proposed trade had been to NY or Boston, he'd be a hero.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

AJ's comments sound like an angry dude, perhaps angry because he has no explanation/reason for passing on a once in a lifetime opportunity.

He had a reason and he said what his was.  Some people just don't like it. 

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s anybody’s business to judge Adam Jones’ decision.    It’s personal to him and if he prefers to stay, that’s his right.    He’s been an absolute warrior for us and Team USA, and I would never, ever doubt his competitiveness.     I do think he may regret his decision now that DD has traded more key pieces away.    But maybe not.    It’s up to him.   

I have no problem with his decision.

i just think Adam walked away from a chance to help the franchise that's been pretty loyal to him over the years.Hes been left to man centerfield when he hasn't been one defensively for more than a couple seasons and I know contracts are earned based on past performance but he's not been a 16-17 million per year player

whats so hard about playing a couple hours up the road in Phillie. It's not like the team tried to trade him to the Dodgers. I could at least understand if he nixed a deal that would've sent him out west.

Anyway I totally get it was his option ....but if he really does want to stay here nixing the trade was not the thing to do.

Just my two cents

AJ is no longer a center fielder and his bat doesn’t play in a corner. Players like him no longer get long term big money deals. He probably asked Philly for a contact extension to waive his 10/5 rights and they laughed in his face. 

Realisticly teams are not gonna be lining up to sign him. He will be lucky to get a 2 year deal. He might not get that. His career may be abruptly coming to an end, of course he’s sour. The game is passing him by and he’s pissed.

14 hours ago, leapinghorsered said:

AJ is no longer a center fielder and his bat doesn’t play in a corner. Players like him no longer get long term big money deals. He probably asked Philly for a contact extension to waive his 10/5 rights and they laughed in his face. 

Realisticly teams are not gonna be lining up to sign him. He will be lucky to get a 2 year deal. He might not get that. His career may be abruptly coming to an end, of course he’s sour. The game is passing him by and he’s pissed.

What are you talking about. We would have loved to have some corner outfielders like him the last few years.  He still hits well enough to play a corner outfield spot. If he gets a 2 year deal nothing wrong with that.  We paid Rasmus 3 million dollars for nothing I am sure Adam will get much more than that. 

39 minutes ago, atomic said:

What are you talking about. We would have loved to have some corner outfielders like him the last few years.  He still hits well enough to play a corner outfield spot. If he gets a 2 year deal nothing wrong with that.  We paid Rasmus 3 million dollars for nothing I am sure Adam will get much more than that. 

His current 100 wRC+ would be slightly below the league average in either corner. If he's an above average defender in a corner, that has value. If he isn't, he doesn't.

I'm not convinced he would be. He's a below league average runner now and his arm isn't what it used to be either. It's hard to imagine a guy slower than Trey Mancini could be an above average defensive outfielder at any of the positions.

On 7/31/2018 at 11:34 PM, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s anybody’s business to judge Adam Jones’ decision.    It’s personal to him and if he prefers to stay, that’s his right.    He’s been an absolute warrior for us and Team USA, and I would never, ever doubt his competitiveness.     I do think he may regret his decision now that DD has traded more key pieces away.    But maybe not.    It’s up to him.   

Huh, we do this everyday about players decisions. What makes Jones so special that we can't judge him or have an opinion on his decisions? I think some people have become a little bit holier than thou over Jones.

At the end of the day, he made a decision that he had a right to make. As a 10/5 guy I support his right to veto a trade. However, listening to his interviews since it appears he's become very bitter. Then things start leaking out about not wanting to move his family or looking out after his charity. Sorry, but the charity thing is a complete joke because he's be gone two and half months and his job is to play baseball and your job comes first. If he cares that much about his charity, retire and tend to it full time. Somehow I think the charity will survive for two and half months while he tries for a World Series ring.

Whatever reason Jones didn't want to be traded, and if I had to guess I'd say it had more to do with the embarrassing return the Orioles were going to get and the questionable role he would play on a contender then anything else (remember when Jones was talking about getting traded and getting prospects back and then resigning in the winter?), i support the fact that it was his decision to make. He also may believe that the Orioles don't have a lot of intention to resign him (especially if DD is still in charge after DD made it clear the Orioles are rebuilding with younger players) and that his value would be pretty low if he was just traded at the deadline for a C prospect.

Baseball is a business and we have every right to judge or make opinions on a players decision about baseball. We're not talking about whether he wants a vasectomy or not here. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Huh, we do this everyday about players decisions. What makes Jones so special that we can't judge him or have an opinion on his decisions? I think some people have become a little bit holier than thou over Jones.

At the end of the day, he made a decision that he had a right to make. As a 10/5 guy I support his right to veto a trade. However, listening to his interviews since it appears he's become very bitter. Then things start leaking out about not wanting to move his family or looking out after his charity. Sorry, but the charity thing is a complete joke because he's be gone two and half months and his job is to play baseball and your job comes first. If he cares that much about his charity, retire and tend to it full time. Somehow I think the charity will survive for two and half months while he tries for a World Series ring.

Whatever reason Jones didn't want to be traded, and if I had to guess I'd say it had more to do with the embarrassing return the Orioles were going to get and the questionable role he would play on a contender then anything else (remember when Jones was talking about getting traded and getting prospects back and then resigning in the winter?), i support the fact that it was his decision to make. He also may believe that the Orioles don't have a lot of intention to resign him (especially if DD is still in charge after DD made it clear the Orioles are rebuilding with younger players) and that his value would be pretty low if he was just traded at the deadline for a C prospect.

Baseball is a business and we have every right to judge or make opinions on a players decision about baseball. We're not talking about whether he wants a vasectomy or not here. 

Ding, Ding, Ding!

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well put.  Probably moreso the bolded part of you post than my previous conclusion that he cared more about off the field stuff than playing on a winning team.  I wonder what the return would've been.  International slot money?  Slot $ plus a fringe prospect?

As a FA this offseason, if he gets a 2yr deal for 7-8M per year, I think he'll be fortunate.  He's a 33yr old slightly above replacement level player.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think people are just bitter about their own lives and are angry Jones is doing well in Baltimore.  He has his in-laws here and bought a new house and his charity is part of his job he believes. Helping the community that he is paid by.  I don't understand why people care what he is doing.

To me the quotes like yours should be reserved for people who are doing bad things in the community like drinking and driving or spousal abuse.  Maybe look internally to why you guys make such comments.  Jones is embarrassed about the return?  He said it was his decision long before any of the trade details came out.  

I lost a lot of respect for people in their comments  about Jones.  And you used your example about your military experience. Well guess what my dad served twice in Vietnam for a year and we were moved all around during that time and it had a bad effect on my family when i was a child.  It isn't good for small children to move constantly or for their parents to away a year at a time. 

If he wants to spend time with his family and on his charity that is a good thing.  It isn't effecting his performance. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-adam-jones-sabathia-podcast-20180802-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

Jones was the guest on CC Sabathia's podcast and elaborated a bit more on what happened. He confirmed that Philly was going to use him as a part time/platoon player and he wants to be an everyday player for at least another 4 years. That's what I suspected all along and was probably his main motivation in my opinion, with the other things being secondary. From his perspective, he probably doesn't want to go into free agency having finished the season as a 4th outfielder.

There should be no bitterness from anyone in Baltimore. He earned his rights, he used them, and we weren't getting much back for an expensive 4th outfielder.

5 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-adam-jones-sabathia-podcast-20180802-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

Jones was the guest on CC Sabathia's podcast and elaborated a bit more on what happened. He confirmed that Philly was going to use him as a part time/platoon player and he wants to be an everyday player for at least another 4 years. That's what I suspected all along and was probably his main motivation in my opinion, with the other things being secondary.

There should be no bitterness from anyone in Baltimore. He earned his rights, he used them, and we weren't getting much back for an expensive 4th outfielder.

CC Sabathia has a podcast? 

Archived