Mullins is with the Orioles! (edited)

terpoh

This is something that I've been trying to figure out. Is it service time, is it a concern that hes not ready, etc...?

I've heard DD and Buck several times reference that Mullins is ready and that hes earned a promotion. We've already gained the 7th year of service as well for a guy who's going to be 24 this fall. We're starting some combination of Peterson, Trumbo, Rickard every night in one of the OF spots, which makes no sense to me. 

I'f we're planning on using Mullins in CF next year, theres Even more of a reason to get him up here and get his feet wet against MLB pitching. If Jones wants to stay in CF then put Mullins in RF. If Jones doesnt care then put him in RF and Mullins in CF. Seems to me that with our lack of a productive player at LF and RF right now it is (and has been) the right time to get him up here. I'd personally bring Mullins and Stewart BOTH up, but thats a different convo!

Am I missing something with this situation?

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps they'd rather bring up a bunch of  new players at one time on September 1 than one at a time. Gives them a chance to evaluate guys in the minors and bring up the ones they want in Baltimore all at once. Still gives all of them a month to sit on the bench while Buck insists on playing the veterans.

52 minutes ago, weams said:

Jones evidently has stated that he won't move off center until September. I am not sure where or why, But I've read people talking that way.

Why does Jones get to decide where he plays, when he is the worst CF'er in the majors

Buck needs to go with AJ

The vets get to call the shots for the most part it seems.  Jones doesn't want to move to RF......Buck isn't the kind of manager that's going to force him.   In his defense, I'm not sure I would do it any differently in this situation.  The O's are a mess right now and I can't see how it would be better if you add on top of it really ticking off the face of your franchise who would almost certainly not keep quiet about his feelings.    In the grand scheme of things starting Mullins in August instead of September probably doesn't move the needle that much. 

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The vets get to call the shots for the most part it seems.  Jones doesn't want to move to RF......Buck isn't the kind of manager that's going to force him.   In his defense, I'm not sure I would do it any differently in this situation.  The O's are a mess right now and I can't see how it would be better if you add on top of it really ticking off the face of your franchise who would almost certainly not keep quiet about his feelings.    In the grand scheme of things starting Mullins in August instead of September probably doesn't move the needle that much. 

He could have accepted a trade.

Maybe staying in Baltimore was best for him and his family, which is fine. That shouldn't also require him staying in CF.

1 hour ago, terpoh said:

This is something that I've been trying to figure out. Is it service time, is it a concern that hes not ready, etc...?

I've heard DD and Buck several times reference that Mullins is ready and that hes earned a promotion. We've already gained the 7th year of service as well for a guy who's going to be 24 this fall. We're starting some combination of Peterson, Trumbo, Rickard every night in one of the OF spots, which makes no sense to me. 

I'f we're planning on using Mullins in CF next year, theres Even more of a reason to get him up here and get his feet wet against MLB pitching. If Jones wants to stay in CF then put Mullins in RF. If Jones doesnt care then put him in RF and Mullins in CF. Seems to me that with our lack of a productive player at LF and RF right now it is (and has been) the right time to get him up here. I'd personally bring Mullins and Stewart BOTH up, but thats a different convo!

Am I missing something with this situation?

I'm with you. They need to bring Mullins up. I'm guessing it's Buck that's the fly in the ointment is the reason Mullins is not up. 

Bringing him up now is pointless. He has been mediocre at AAA. He’s only been there for a few weeks. There’s no reason to rush him up. You can (and the O’s have) damage development by bring up someone too soon. I’d much rather hold off until they’re beating down the door. Bring him up in 3 weeks (September) and let him start next year in the minors and gain the extra year of control. Who knows what he will be but most projections have him as a lower division regular or a forth OF. We are talking about an above average defender but not an impact bat. There’s no real need to have him up in this malaise of a season. 

3 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Bringing him up now is pointless. He has been mediocre at AAA. He’s only been there for a few weeks. There’s no reason to rush him up. You can (and the O’s have) damage development by bring up someone too soon. I’d much rather hold off until they’re beating down the door. Bring him up in 3 weeks (September) and let him start next year in the minors and gain the extra year of control. Who knows what he will be but most projections have him as a lower division regular or a forth OF. We are talking about an above average defender but not an impact bat. There’s no real need to have him up in this malaise of a season. 

Can I get some position player examples?

4 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I agree that it's not critical that he's up now, but he's been there for 59 games, he's hitting 12% better than league average (for any position) as an above average glove in CF, playing in a park that suppresses power. 

Archived