Ryan McKenna Future Second Baseman?

NCRaven

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Mountcastle in left over Stewart, Mullins, and McKenna? Did Santander also fall totally away?

Mountcastle would be a great DH. But until he actually goes to the outfield, I'd rather have a true outfielder there.

Well, the point of the OP was that McKenna was getting some reps at 2B in fall instructs.  My question for the minor league scouts among us was, basically, could this actually happen?  If so, McKenna is at 2B not LF.

Not taking this too seriously.  More of a what if? exercise.

5 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Well, the point of the OP was that McKenna was getting some reps at 2B in fall instructs.  My question for the minor league scouts among us was, basically, could this actually happen?  If so, McKenna is at 2B not LF.

Not taking this too seriously.  More of a what if? exercise.

I haven’t seen him play 2B, so I can’t speak to his ability there. He does have more of a typical 2B body. The thing for me is that I’m confident he’ll be an average or better CF. 2B and CF have the same defensive adjustment so it’s not really moving up the defensive spectrum. It’s hard to imagine that he’s a 50/55 glove at 2B, which he’d need to be to make a move there worth it. 

I don’t buy into the crowded OF narrative, this rebuild is going to take a couple years at least, so there will be plenty of time to figure it out and trade the spare parts.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Very nice article.   It was interesting to read about his offensive adjustments and his conditioning.    He seems to have a good head on his shoulders.   

On the short list of things I don’t worry about much regarding the future Orioles, the outfield is one.   Between Hays, Diaz, Mullins, McKenna and Stewart, and knowing Mancini can play there if pressed and that Mountcastle may be moved out there, somewhere in that mix is a decent outfield in a couple of years.    Maybe even a good one.   

Now I just need to think about is what else is on my short list of things I don’t worry about much regarding the future Orioles.

Archived