Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

53 minutes ago, mskrulz said:

Not at all looking for an argument but what if we signed Elias and called him President and let him hire a GM? We didn't hire a GM before a President like you said. We hired a GM and we are letting him hire an assistant. 

I'm not arguing at all. Pointing out facts. The Owners said they were going to hire a President/ VP and they would hire a GM, Manager etc.

It apparently hasn't happened that way and I wonder why. I have no faith in the ability of these Owners until they show me something. So far they have been very secretive.

I like the Hire, if true. But the way they went about it is ass backwards.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Doesn’t the MASN hearing immediately follow the owners’ meetings?    I’d think that might occupy John and Lou quite a bit.   If it were my money, I’d be attending those hearings in person even if my lawyers were doing all the work.   

It is supposed to be right after owner meetings.Thursday and Friday, but MLB has been secretive about the RSDC meeting. 

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Looks like we might poach the Astros bench coach too.

He'd already have a working relationship/understanding of the process with the GM, and is fairly young by managerial standards (43, and thus could be around a good while if all went well). Why not?

4 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Average to below average is subjective. Only question is whether there was a better deal on the table. Gausman is complicated because money was a major factor.

The Gausman trade was only complicated in that it will take years to calculate how bad it was. 

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Doesn’t the MASN hearing immediately follow the owners’ meetings?    I’d think that might occupy John and Lou quite a bit.   If it were my money, I’d be attending those hearings in person even if my lawyers were doing all the work.   

Found the link I was looking for.

That panel will hear the dispute Thursday and Friday, as far as anyone with the Nationals knows, in a process that has been rather hush-hush — to the point that even league spokesmen would not provide information about the timing of the hearing. It will be asked to determine the rights for the first five-year period (2012-2016) and the current five-year period (2017-2021), at which point the Nationals will be owed those sums immediately.

After the owners' meetings wrap up in Atlanta, a Major League Baseball-appointed Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee (RSDC) will hear the Nationals' and Orioles' cases again. That three-person panel will decide how much the Nationals are due in old revenue (2012-2016) and present revenue (2017-2021), at which time the Orioles will be required to pay that sum to the Nationals. The panel could provide a neat and tidy ending to one of the more mind-numbing, aggravating disputes between teams in baseball history. Then again, it was supposed to do that in 2014, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/13/nationals-orioles-masn-dispute-could-finally-end-this-week/?utm_term=.2c850867f4a2

9 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I'm not arguing at all. Pointing out facts. The Owners said they were going to hire a President/ VP and they would hire a GM, Manager etc.

It apparently hasn't happened that way and I wonder why. I have no faith in the ability of these Owners until they show me something. So far they have been very secretive.

I like the Hire, if true. But the way they went about it is ass backwards.

Isn't that the way of the O's though?

8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Totally false.  From the official Orioles press release, dated Oct 3, 2018:

"The club will hire an executive from outside of the organization to lead the Baseball Operations department. Once in place, this individual will have the final determination on all baseball matters that he or she believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community."

That's it.  John and Lou Angelos have never "said" anything else.  Mike Elias is an executive from outside of the organization.  He will lead the Baseball Operations department.  It appears that he will have final determination on all baseball matters.

They never said anything else or changed anything.

Just now, NCRaven said:

"The club will hire an executive from outside of the organization to lead the Baseball Operations department. Once in place, this individual will have the final determination on all baseball matters that he or she believes will make the Orioles successful on the field, entertaining to fans, and impactful in the community."

That's it.  John and Lou Angelos have never "said" anything else.  Mike Elias is an executive from outside of the organization.  He will lead the Baseball Operations department.  It appears that he will have final determination on all baseball matters.

Agree, this was a Roch thing which he has since walked back a little sheepishly I might add. 

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Which is why Roch added, “there is other business.”

3 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think of an Executive as a person near the top of the tree. A GM isn't an Executive. They are a day to day management. We'll have to agree to disagree.

34 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Found the link I was looking for.

That panel will hear the dispute Thursday and Friday, as far as anyone with the Nationals knows, in a process that has been rather hush-hush — to the point that even league spokesmen would not provide information about the timing of the hearing. It will be asked to determine the rights for the first five-year period (2012-2016) and the current five-year period (2017-2021), at which point the Nationals will be owed those sums immediately.

After the owners' meetings wrap up in Atlanta, a Major League Baseball-appointed Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee (RSDC) will hear the Nationals' and Orioles' cases again. That three-person panel will decide how much the Nationals are due in old revenue (2012-2016) and present revenue (2017-2021), at which time the Orioles will be required to pay that sum to the Nationals. The panel could provide a neat and tidy ending to one of the more mind-numbing, aggravating disputes between teams in baseball history. Then again, it was supposed to do that in 2014, too.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/13/nationals-orioles-masn-dispute-could-finally-end-this-week/?utm_term=.2c850867f4a2

I don't understand how a president of one of your rivals (Mark Shapiro) is allowed to be on the panel hearing the case. This is something that could financially hurt the Orioles, and one of your division rivals is expected to make a non-biased decision.  Seems fishy to me.

Archived