Orioles hire Mike Elias as Executive Vice President and GM

ISU94

2 minutes ago, Mitch Connor said:

Lets wait till he passes the Orioles physical and we have the press conference, before we sing management's praises. Haven't we learned anything?

That joke never gets old.  

Oh...wait...yeah it does.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

What does your average 35 year old Yale graduate make?

Depends on your major.  I was reading that the investment banks in NYC were paying their interns 300k+ as soon as they graduate as their is a shortage of qualified people.  I am guessing more than a few of those graduates are from Yale. 

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Less than $3 million a year, probably with a much better perspective as to what constitutes "isn't very much money."

I am not sure why you are harping on this. I am sure there are plenty of people from Yale who are making more than 3 million a year at 35. Close to NYC and top law and business school plus connections to a lot of classmate who are from wealthy families. 

Compared to the player salaries he isn't making much.  Probably making less than Buck was making.  But keep going on and on about it.  

3 hours ago, dabirds said:

wow

That's a lot better investment than the O's could get on a player.  The O's could have signed Caleb Joseph and Joey Rickard with that money.  Is there a clause in his contract that he can't leave the O's for another organization with a fancier executive title?

27 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That's a lot better investment than the O's could get on a player.  The O's could have signed Caleb Joseph and Joey Rickard with that money.  Is there a clause in his contract that he can't leave the O's for another organization with a fancier executive title?

I would think he will get a 5  year contract.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

I am not sure why you are harping on this. I am sure there are plenty of people from Yale who are making more than 3 million a year at 35. Close to NYC and top law and business school plus connections to a lot of classmate who are from wealthy families. 

Compared to the player salaries he isn't making much.  Probably making less than Buck was making.  But keep going on and on about it.  

Oh C’mon. We have to have a laugh at these guys. Please don’t offend our large population of Ivy League grads on the OH. 

These guys are about to sell us on some “Trust the Process” stuff and our trust level in ownership is about 3%. 

Our potential new whiz kid, baseball analytics, Assistant GM Sig Mihdal(sp?), couldn’t even properly set a secure password so his former company couldn’t hack it. How smart is that guy?  Haha. What was the Password?  Spinrate#1?  Did he just use the same password?  Would the Cardinals even want to hack into our scouting database?  Haha

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Oh C’mon. We have to have a laugh at these guys. Please don’t offend our large population of Ivy League grads on the OH. 

These guys are about to sell us on some “Trust the Process” stuff and our trust level in ownership is about 3%. 

Our potential new whiz kid, baseball analytics, Assistant GM Sig Mihdal(sp?), couldn’t even properly set a secure password so his former company couldn’t hack it. How smart is that guy?  Haha. What was the Password?  Spinrate#1?  Did he just use the same password?  Would the Cardinals even want to hack into our scouting database?  Haha

That was of course Luhnow. They used Luhnow's access to get into the database. 

Jon Meoli had this list of Astros draft picks with Elias. The two pitchers they took with the first pick in the draft did   not work out. Did get Bergman because  of Aiken. Whitley and Tucker were top 10 prospects in the minors. Pretty good drafting overall. Misses on some guys like every other team.

Astros first-round picks by year

2012 – Shortstop Carlos Correa, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy (1st overall)

2012 – Right-hander Lance McCullers Jr. (41st overall)

2013 – Right-hander Mark Appel, Stanford (1st overall)

2014 – Left-hander Brady Aiken, Cathedral Catholic HS—Calif. (1st overall)*

2014 – Outfielder Derek Fisher, Virginia (37th overall)

2015 – Shortstop Alex Bregman, LSU (2nd overall)

2015 – Outfielder Kyle Tucker, H.B. Plant HS — Fla. (5th overall)

2016 – Right-hander Forrest Whitley, Alamo Heights HS — Texas (17th overall)

2017 – Right-hander J.B. Bukauskas, North Carolina (15th overall)

2018 – Outfielder Seth Beer, Clemson (28th overall)

* -- not signed

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757009-why-mark-appel-perhaps-the-biggest-bust-in-mlb-history-is-retiring-at-26

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

His password was 1-2-3-4....5. The same password some idiot uses on their luggage.

30 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Jon Meoli had this list of Astros draft picks with Elias. The two pitchers they took with the first pick in the draft did   not work out. Did get Bergman because  of Aiken. Whitley and Tucker were top 10 prospects in the minors. Pretty good drafting overall. Misses on some guys like every other team.

Astros first-round picks by year

2012 – Shortstop Carlos Correa, Puerto Rico Baseball Academy (1st overall)

2012 – Right-hander Lance McCullers Jr. (41st overall)

2013 – Right-hander Mark Appel, Stanford (1st overall)

2014 – Left-hander Brady Aiken, Cathedral Catholic HS—Calif. (1st overall)*

2014 – Outfielder Derek Fisher, Virginia (37th overall)

2015 – Shortstop Alex Bregman, LSU (2nd overall)

2015 – Outfielder Kyle Tucker, H.B. Plant HS — Fla. (5th overall)

2016 – Right-hander Forrest Whitley, Alamo Heights HS — Texas (17th overall)

2017 – Right-hander J.B. Bukauskas, North Carolina (15th overall)

2018 – Outfielder Seth Beer, Clemson (28th overall)

* -- not signed

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2757009-why-mark-appel-perhaps-the-biggest-bust-in-mlb-history-is-retiring-at-26

How has their international selections working out.  I don't notice anyone prominent on their roster acquired directly during Elias time with club.

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

How has their international selections working out.  I don't notice anyone prominent on their roster acquired directly during Elias time with club.

This article says of their 30 prospects that 10 are from international players acquired. From last year. And another article .

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/houston-astros-2018-top-30-prospects-list/c-267000054

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/international-reviews-houston-astros-2018/

16 minutes ago, atomic said:

They have Gurriel and Framber Valdez on their roster. They have a number on their top prospect list as GU posted.

They've also traded Alcala, Celestino, Hector Perez, Albert Abreu, Jorge Guzman, Franklin Perez, Harold Aruaz, Rio Ruiz, and Junior Garcia as part of the Verlander, McCann, Pressley, Osuna, Giles, Oliver Perez, and Gattis trades.

Archived