Comprehensive list of free agents the Orioles are going after

Natty

On 12/8/2018 at 12:12 AM, El Gordo said:

Who on the current 40 man would be a better glove at SS than a healthy J.J.?

It's not just about the glove...it's about the range. Also Hardy's injury history has been much for significant than Jeter. The chances of him holding up for a full season after taking a year off are not very good. 

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

It's not just about the glove...it's about the range. Also Hardy's injury history has been much for significant than Jeter. The chances of him holding up for a full season after taking a year off are not very good. 

Hardy was the best defensive SS in baseball for a period of 10 years 2006 -2016. What he lacked in range he made up in positioning. https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=ss&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2016&month=0&season1=2006&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

How many shortstops were active from 2006-2016?

Btw that is an 11 year period.

Just now, El Gordo said:

You're talking about the past and I'm talking about the future. I don't think Hardy's game will age well. And no one appears to be knocking on his door. That has to speak for something.

25 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You're talking about the past and I'm talking about the future. I don't think Hardy's game will age well. And no one appears to be knocking on his door. That has to speak for something.

My only point is if he's healthy he's still better than anyone else in the system. 

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

My only point is if he's healthy he's still better than anyone else in the system. 

So he's a better option than anyone else on a team that doesn't have a true SS option on the roster?  Yes, I agree with that, but it's certainly not much of an endorsement for signing Señor Ping Pong. 

8 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So he's a better option than anyone else on a team that doesn't have a true SS option on the roster?  Yes, I agree with that, but it's certainly not much of an endorsement for signing Señor Ping Pong. 

Well, he would come cheap if he still wants to play(which I doubt) and he'd be a hell of an IF coach.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

JJ is 36 now. My guess is that Villar is a better SS at this point.

Your guess would be wrong IMO. Villar is a career -18.8 at SS J.J in his last injury ridden season a year ago was -1.1. I doubt he has eroded that much since.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

So now he's going to play AND coach? Since when did JJ Hardy become the next Chuck Norris?

J.J. was a coach to Machado and Beckham when he was playing. Why wouldn't he continue to help younger players. What do you have against him?

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

J.J. was a coach to Machado and Beckham when he was playing. Why wouldn't he continue to help younger players. What do you have against him?

I have nothing against him. It's just that your argument for signing him is basically built on a house  of cards. Hardy had his time. It's over. Time to move on. No need to dredge up names from the past to try to recapture some magic that isn't there. 

Free agent 2nd baseman Daniel Descalso is intriguing. I’d like to see us give him an opportunity. He was originally drafted by the cards in 3rd round 2007 when Elias was there so there is that connection. His obp the past three years has been .349 .332 .353 respectably. However hits for a relative low avg. .264 .233 .238. He’s played all infield positions except c but the past two years split time between 2nd and 3rd with some time in the of and 1b. Solid Glove. 

• weams locked this topic

Archived