Orioles claim Austin Brice Designate Valera (Traded to Giants for CC)

jrobb21613

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

This will be a nice test case on if the new regime shares the love of the 2S that is the norm around these parts.

Of course, that assumes Brice isn’t jettisoned for some free agent signing or another waiver pickup later.    I’ve learned not to get too attached to these offseason waiver guys, who are often gone as quickly as they came.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course, that assumes Brice isn’t jettisoned for some free agent signing or another waiver pickup later.    I’ve learned not to get too attached to these offseason waiver guys, who are often gone as quickly as they came.   

and somehow Mike Wright always seems to have the - er - "right stuff".  ?

Keep in mind we also DFA’d Vielma(retained in AAA) so this even more possible 2B “depth”. 

I don’t think we should view this as Valera vs. Wright/Susac/Hart/Brice but more along the lines of look our IF depth and does it make sense to have Valera on the 40 man?

40 man

3B: Nunez, Ruiz

SS: Martin, Jackson (both can also play 2B)

2B: Villar, Wilkerson

Depth in AAA

Peterson - Util IF

Vielma- 2B (where was the outcry?)

How many IFs can we afford to have on the 40 man?  I think Peterson is better than Valera too. So much so I don’t know how to spell his name. 

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Keep in mind we also DFA’d Vielma(retained in AAA) so this even more possible 2B “depth”. 

I don’t think we should view this as Valera vs. Wright/Susac/Hart/Brice but more along the lines of look our IF depth and does it make sense to have Valera on the 40 man?

40 man

3B: Nunez, Ruiz

SS: Martin, Jackson (both can also play 2B)

2B: Villar, Wilkerson

Depth in AAA

Peterson - Util IF

Vielma- 2B

How many IFs can we afford to have on the 40 man?  

As long as players have options there is not a problem with having several infielders on the 40 man rosters.  Especially because many are not established major leaguers and the Villar probably is traded in July.

After all the O's now have 23 pitchers on the 40 man roster.

39 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Damn good pitch there, and Valera stinks, so whatever.

Both Valera and Brice are struggling with the same problem.  The jump to the the majors.

Brice  has a 2.70 ERA at AAA and a 5.68 ERA in the majors.

Valera has a  300/368/427/794 at AAA and a 216/286/243/594 in the majors

If one stinks so does the other.

I like this move.  Change the pitch mix and ME might have found a solid bullpen arm masquerading as a fringe-average BP guy in a Reds uniform.  

IMO, Brice has a better chance to be a solid BP arm than Valera has of being a solid MLB 2B or utility guy.  Besides Villar, the 2 Rule V guys, Wilkerson and Peterson, we have several middle infield options in the lower minors who could be better options than Valera within two or three years.

Archived