Wieters and Rutschman

Just Regular

4 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

For me it's about enjoying the novelty of the #1 pick.  Even the years we got Machado, Bundy, etc, there wasn't the opportunity to speculate so freely as anybody might not have been there.  I'm not clamoring for Rutschman as much as observing he's the early favorite.  I hope he or someone else goes supernova so we can approach the Nationals luckiness in the Strasburg Harper years.

The same podcast last weekend suggested 2-10 is a mixed bag right now, and the one specific they discussed from that group was Daniel Espino, who has an interesting crouch in his delivery.  

Even with expert speculation the draft order for mlb is always intensely different after another season.  Rutschman without the 2018 College season... no chance he’s considered 1-1 “lock” with his 2017 sample size only. 

Just now, TheOtherRipken said:

Even with expert speculation the draft order for mlb is always intensely different after another season.  Rutschman without the 2018 College season... no chance he’s considered 1-1 “lock” with his 2017 sample size only. 

Of course.

Injury risk alone would preclude that.

5 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Easy...as do I have much to do. Which was why I missed by one pick. And that post was not directed to you, if you look again. Easy....

I, too, will take you at your word that you preferred MadBum or Heyward at the time.

But I don’t think you judge the no. 5 pick by determining if he turned out to be one of the top 5 players in his draft class.    That standard would almost never be met, because there’s always several surprise players who perform very well who are drafted lower.   I think it’s much more fair to compare Wieters to the other guys drafted at no. 5.     And when you do that, he’s had the 9th best outcome of 54 guys (so far; it’s too soon to know if some of the very recent picks might eclipse him in a few years).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

We can always count on you, Bob, for a witty remark.  ?

Or being "a tool" fer sure!  On message boards, can trolling be considered a "tool"?  Wit definitely is, right?  Asking for @Can of Corn well not him 'cause he knows all.

But back to Wieters and Ruschman, can Cody Roberts be converted to P?  Asking for @Luke-OH .  And in an unrelated subject, can Nickie Horvath ever be a Rickard?

6 hours ago, weams said:

Is he even four tool?

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seems to be but the hit tool is the important one.

Not sure if y’all are serious but he has it all.

Mayo: Had Witt been in the 2018 class, many thought he would be at or near the top of the first round. He'll get his chance a year from now. The Texas high schooler has five-tool potential with the ability to stay at shortstop long-term. One evaluator put at least a 60 (on the 20-to-80 scale) on all of his tools.

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Mayo: Had Witt been in the 2018 class, many thought he would be at or near the top of the first round. He'll get his chance a year from now. The Texas high schooler has five-tool potential with the ability to stay at shortstop long-term. One evaluator put at least a 60 (on the 20-to-80 scale) on all of his tools.

Other evaluators have a future 40 on the hit. The other 4 tools are pretty well agreed on to be plus.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Also 2018 Witt wouldn't be old for his draft class.