Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I suspect that Elias would have to get clearance from ownership to release a contract that big.    I also suspect this topic was discussed in some detail before Elias took the job and there’s already an understanding in principle about what criteria would be useAlld to make that decision.    I will be surprised if Elias goes to ownership for approval of Davis’ release and doesn’t get that approval.   Of course, we may never know if he tried to get approval and didn’t.   

All very good points.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I suspect that Elias would have to get clearance from ownership to release a contract that big.    I also suspect this topic was discussed in some detail before Elias took the job and there’s already an understanding in principle about what criteria would be used to make that decision.    I will be surprised if Elias goes to ownership for approval of Davis’ release and doesn’t get that approval.   Of course, we may never know if he tried to get approval and didn’t.   

You're probably right, particularly since it was primarily Peter who negotiated and signed off on that contract, but from a business prospective, I would hope that the sign-off is more a formality. At this point, it's a sunk cost. The Orioles aren't getting that money back whether he's on the roster or not and the idea of recouping some value from him if he bounces back shouldn't be the main thought. At some point, his roster spot (either 25 man or 40 man) is worth more than whatever hope the Birds have he can bounce back. At this point, it would take a significant improvement to even be replacement level which right now, they get more value from him off the roster than on it.

21 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

You're probably right, particularly since it was primarily Peter who negotiated and signed off on that contract, but from a business prospective, I would hope that the sign-off is more a formality. At this point, it's a sunk cost. The Orioles aren't getting that money back whether he's on the roster or not and the idea of recouping some value from him if he bounces back shouldn't be the main thought. At some point, his roster spot (either 25 man or 40 man) is worth more than whatever hope the Birds have he can bounce back. At this point, it would take a significant improvement to even be replacement level which right now, they get more value from him off the roster than on it.

Getting back to what I said earlier in the thread, I think a lot will depend on just how obvious it becomes that Davis can’t be salvaged (if that is the case).    Let’s say after two months he has a .700 OPS with a low average but a decent number of homers, WAR hovering right around 0 — is that enough to conclude he can’t be salvaged?   Probably not.    But if his OPS is under .600 and he’s already at -1 WAR, the case gets a lot stronger.    I think he gets 2 months at minimum no matter what.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Getting back to what I said earlier in the thread, I think a lot will depend on just how obvious it becomes that Davis can’t be salvaged (if that is the case).    Let’s say after two months he has a .700 OPS with a low average but a decent number of homers, WAR hovering right around 0 — is that enough to conclude he can’t be salvaged?   Probably not.    But if his OPS is under .600 and he’s already at -1 WAR, the case gets a lot stronger.    I think he gets 2 months at minimum no matter what.   

I'm really surprised anyone thinks he can be salvaged. Not you, just in general. His numbers have gotten drastically worse 3 straight years.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

So much like Darth Vader killing the Emperor in the Return of the Jedi, Davis might fulfill is contract just not in the way originally envisioned.

4 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Davis does have some value to the Orioles this year. He’s going to play a key role in The Orioles getting the number one pick in 2020. 

I dont think I want to see 4 more years of a sub .600 OPS. I hope for everyone involved this is the last year if Davis struggles again.

7 hours ago, jamalshw said:

There is a non-zero change that he suffers ill health or tragedy. Or grows tired of the plight of pretending. I suspect the roster spot does not even become relevant for three seasons. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

0-2, 2 k's plus a BB

FTFY

Not a great day but did work the BB in his last AB.  Then we had all of the Kruk comments about missing the ball by a bunch in the previous AB.  Baby steps - from looking to missing to walking