Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Didnt they say Davis was first in the batting cage daily and taking extra hitting BP?

I have no doubt that Davis is working hard in the batting cage. The problem is he probably is practicing that same swing that hasn't worked for 2  years.

He says a rebuild of his swing has never worked but that isn't true. When he came over from Texas he was failing again. He worked with our hitting coach in 2011 and 2012 to rebuild the swing working off a tee to stay closed and go the opposite way. In those days he was still a gym rat and incredibly strong. That led to his breakout in 2013. The coach left in 2014 for personal reasons. 

45 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I have no doubt that Davis is working hard in the batting cage. The problem is he probably is practicing that same swing that hasn't worked for 2  years.

He says a rebuild of his swing has never worked but that isn't true. When he came over from Texas he was failing again. He worked with our hitting coach in 2011 and 2012 to rebuild the swing working off a tee to stay closed and go the opposite way. In those days he was still a gym rat and incredibly strong. That led to his breakout in 2013. The coach left in 2014 for personal reasons. 

Am I crazy or does it look like he decelerates during his swing? Just like a golfer flubbing a wedge. 

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Insurance has got to be very expensive, and the clubs dont carry it on every player.

Good point. I "assumed" the O's would insure a deal of that size, ala Joey "Albert" Belle. A (very) quick scan of the Google machine didn't reveal any insurance info about Davis' contract. (But multiple articles referred to its resemblance to Diomedeidae). David Wright's had a 8 year $138 million deal, and (as reported by Reuters), after injury, the Mets recouped 75% of his salary, as long as he didn't appear in the Majors. So 75% less the cost of the insurance could be the net gain to the O's. (Plus subtracting a potentially negative WAR player and opening first for Mancini / Mountcastle) 

Make no mistake, I do NOT want to see a player injured or have to retire because of injury, I'm only speculating on a scenario.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Am I crazy or does it look like he decelerates during his swing? Just like a golfer flubbing a wedge. 

I see no sense in keeping him around. I would explore sending him to AAA and see if he would accept (unlikely). Or have him give pitching a try(not joking). 

6 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I see no sense in keeping him around. I would explore sending him to AAA and see if he would accept (unlikely). Or have him give pitching a try(not joking). 

I’m hoping Davis talks buyout or retirement with Elias. If nothing changes how much more can Davis take before he breaks mentally?

I literally believe there are some high school players that would hit better than him against major league pitching.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I’m hoping Davis talks buyout or retirement with Elias. If nothing changes how much more can Davis take before he breaks mentally?

I literally believe there are some high school players that would hit better than him against major league pitching.

I can't say I'm rooting for him to break mentally.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Im seeing ghosts of Albert Belle.

We can only hope. not wishing a degenerative hip condition on anyone, but from an Orioles organization stand point, anything that allows the insurance to pick up most of his contract is probably the fastest way to get him off the roster for good.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can't say I'm rooting for him to break mentally.

I’m not either, but from the SI article last year it already sounded like he was in a bad place.

Something needs to be done by the all star break if there is no improvement. Davis is a good guy and it’s not his fault Angelos & Davis decided to pay him.  

But Elias was brought in to clean up this mess and that’s what he needs to do.