Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

I hate posting in this thread and bumping it up....

We’re the worst team in MLB and the writing is on the wall. I think now we have players pushing Davis off the roster. 

Mancini

Nunez

Sisco at DH

Santander

Smith 

Stewart

Mountcastle debut (Sept or later)

Before Davis was lucky that nobody was beating the door down. Now he really is stealing ABs from guys we need to evaluate. Sisco should be getting DH ABs when he isn’t catching. Smith has earned an extended look, same with Stewart. 

We need the 1B/DH spots open to rotate these guys in. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I hate posting in this thread and bumping it up....

We’re the worst team in MLB and the writing is on the wall. I think now we have players pushing Davis off the roster. 

Mancini

Nunez

Sisco at DH

Santander

Smith 

Stewart

Mountcastle debut (Sept or later)

Before Davis was lucky that nobody was beating the door down. Now he really is stealing ABs from guys we need to evaluate. Sisco should be getting DH ABs when he isn’t catching. Smith has earned an extended look, same with Stewart. 

We need the 1B/DH spots open to rotate these guys in. 

Sounds logic. Hope it's followed, even before September.

Those are valid reasons to let Davis go.  However there are also reasons to keep him.

*Hope that he will start hitting again like he did after he hit .192 for Texas.

*Big money owed on his contract.  Releasing him would mean paying him while he sits at home cashing the checks..

*If he continues to hit like a pitcher, he may be ashamed and be willing to take a buyout and retire and the Orioles could avoid paying full price for the rest of his contract. Releasing him now would eliminate that possibility. 

*On a rebuilding team of youth he could help teach the younger players the ropes.

*Name recognition for the fans. Some occasional fans don't like going to a game and not recognizing any names in the Orioles starting lineup. 

Edited by Maverick Hiker

8 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

Those are valid reasons to let Davis go.  However there are also reasons to keep him.

*Big money owed on his contract.  Releasing him would mean paying him while he sits at home cashing the checks..

*If he continues to hit like a pitcher, he may be ashamed and be willing to take a buyout and retire and the Orioles could avoid paying full price for the rest of his contract. Releasing him now would eliminate that possibility. 

*On a rebuilding team of youth he could help teach the younger players the ropes.

*Name recognition for the fans. Some occasional fans don't like going to a game and not recognizing any names in the Orioles starting lineup. 

I hear you, but imo none of those are good reasons to keep him. 

1. No chance he starts hitting again. 

2. Sunk cost.

3. Doesn’t seem realistic at this point.

4. The worst player in the league who has shown no ability to adjust, showing the younger guys the ropes??

5. Catering to the casual fan is how the Os got in this mess in the first place.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Maverick Hiker said:

In my opinion, the only reason to keep him on the team is that we’re paying him, and the idea of paying him without making him give effort is offensive, on principle. 

Sooner or later we’ll need that roster spot. I don’t think we’re there yet, but Davis’ clock is ticking. 

2 hours ago, 99ct said:

In my opinion, the only reason to keep him on the team is that we’re paying him, and the idea of paying him without making him give effort is offensive, on principle. 

Sooner or later we’ll need that roster spot. I don’t think we’re there yet, but Davis’ clock is ticking. 

To me the only logical reason to keep him is that you think he might at some point retire or accept a buyout for less than his guaranteed contract.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me the only logical reason to keep him is that you think he might at some point retire or accept a buyout for less than his guaranteed contract.

That would be nice, but I’m pretty sure we’ve been over this and decided there was no precedent for this, nor would the MLBPA be totally cool with it. I guess one can always hope though. 

1 minute ago, 99ct said:

That would be nice, but I’m pretty sure we’ve been over this and decided there was no precedent for this, nor would the MLBPA be totally cool with it. I guess one can always hope though. 

The MLBPA has NO SAY.  What do you think they can do about it?  Players have retired before and left money on the table, just not this much money.