Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

4 minutes ago, Orioles Jim said:

I was saying during the trade deadline that the Orioles should trade Machado/Davis to the Dodgers for peanuts and let the Dodgers pay Davis to go away.

Yeah, its nice to have Yusniel now, but damn it would’ve been great to have that albatross gone.  

I wonder how the market would’ve developed had the Orioles told teams that Machado/Davis were a package deal and they could have them for peanuts but have to assume Davis’ contract in its entirety.

With our luck the Yankees would’ve been the only takers and he would’ve made a full recovery. 

There was zero chance the Dodgers would have taken on Davis' salary.

Zero.

3 hours ago, weams said:

127 million of bait. 

Don’t know why they need to cut bait. It’s not like we’re gonna be winning. He’s not keeping a solid player of the roster. You play him 1-2 times a week, as his performance dictates and hope someone will pay him ~10M in a trade

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Don’t know why they need to cut bait. It’s not like we’re gonna be winning. He’s not keeping a solid player of the roster. You play him 1-2 times a week, as his performance dictates and hope someone will pay him ~10M in a trade

He's already forcing Mancini into the outfield and what happens if they want to promote Mountcastle at some point in 2019?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's already forcing Mancini into the outfield and what happens if they want to promote Mountcastle at some point in 2019?

You both are right but it was Buck that played Davis. Next year Davis should get ST and 1-2 months to prove he can contribute. If more of the same he is the 25th man and only sees the field due to emergency. The message needs to be you perform, you play. If not you sit, no matter what you get paid. He would be keeping another 25th man off the roster, not generally a solid player. Mancini at DH, Trumbo at 1B when he recovers, Montcastle learns 1B this year in the minors. Basically we play with a 3 man bench in a year destined to be bad and hope new mgmt gets him off the roster somehow.

3 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

You both are right but it was Buck that played Davis. Next year Davis should get ST and 1-2 months to prove he can contribute. If more of the same he is the 25th man and only sees the field due to emergency. The message needs to be you perform, you play. If not you sit, no matter what you get paid. He would be keeping another 25th man off the roster, not generally a solid player. Mancini at DH, Trumbo at 1B when he recovers, Montcastle learns 1B this year in the minors. Basically we play with a 3 man bench in a year destined to be bad and hope new mgmt gets him off the roster somehow.

That's fine as long as the Manager is allowed to do so.

• 3 weeks later...

But Elias obviously doesn’t make the final call on whether the club eats the remainder of the deal. That’s squarely on ownership.

No one expects it to happen with four years left before the deferrals hit, but there’s a curiosity over Elias’ vision of Davis meshing with a teardown and rebuild.

Roch Kubatko

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not surprising but it does show Elias doesn't have total control to run the team as he sees fit.

I wonder if there is anything else he doesn't have control over?

All it shows is Roch’s opinion.   All I know is, he asked the Angelos brothers what should be done about Davis and Lou answered, “that’s a Mike question.”

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

All it shows is Roch’s opinion.   All I know is, he asked the Angelos brothers what should be done about Davis and Lou answered, “that’s a Mike question.”

Seemed like a definitive statement from someone who works as a spokesman for the team to me.team.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not surprising but it does show Elias doesn't have total control to run the team as he sees fit.

I wonder if there is anything else he doesn't have control over?

I think Roch's quote implies Elias does not have the autonomy to make a big decision like cut a dude who is owed $100 million + without any ownership input. I think most teams operate that way. For example, any team's ownership is going to get involved in any Harper/Machado contract this offseason. When that much money is involved, I'm sure any GM would have to check with his boss first.

As much as I'd love to see Davis off the team - he is owed way too much money and 2019 is way too irrelevant not to try and see what they can get out of him. It'll be annoying, but getting Mancini out of left field isn't going to be the motivating factor in moving on from Davis four years early.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seemed like a definitive statement from someone who works as a spokesman for the team to me.team.

I don’t think Roch is that plugged in, to be honest.    In any event, I don’t read what he wrote as very definitive at all.

17 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think Roch's quote implies Elias does not have the autonomy to make a big decision like cut a dude who is owed $100 million + without any ownership input. I think most teams operate that way. For example, any team's ownership is going to get involved in any Harper/Machado contract this offseason. When that much money is involved, I'm sure any GM would have to check with his boss first.

As much as I'd love to see Davis off the team - he is owed way too much money and 2019 is way too irrelevant not to try and see what they can get out of him. It'll be annoying, but getting Mancini out of left field isn't going to be the motivating factor in moving on from Davis four years early.

He has full power but can't make the final call on the contents of his 25 man roster.

That isn't full power.

It just isn't.

So they lied.

This is the type of stuff that led to trading away draft picks to get rid of Webb and Matusz.