Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

9 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Actually........ a dead cat would be an improvement over Davis. You bat him leadoff 162 games. No pitcher could throw 3 strikes to a 6 inches high dead cat lying on the ground. He walks, you pinch run Mullins for the rest of the game. DC (Dead Cat - the inverse of CD...) DC has 162 PA - 0 AB, 162 BB. Infinity 0.000 BA, 1.000 OBP, 1.000 OPS. Gotta be worth 0.0 WAR at least.

Just roll the ball over the plate.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad Davis hit a homer today.    Any sign of life is good.   Good for him psychologically, as well as me.

Probably felt like hitting a 100 ton monkey off his back.  Good for him....please just give us good at bats...  for everyone involved

2 minutes ago, Bmorebirds24 said:

I believe Davis has brought that on himself. 

No...  I don't believe that he did.  He isn't arrogant, he isn't obnoxious, he isn't willfully under-performing... he didn't stick a gun to the Orioles' head and rob them...

He signed a contract that THEY offered him (as any rational human being would have done). And he has failed to live up to the expectations of that contract. But it isn't for lack of effort. He's struggling. And he doesn't know why.

Davis has always been a very streaky hitter..  when he's hot...  he's been a beast...  and when he's cold..  he has been cringe-worthy. It seems like these streaks have been swinging back and forth to wider extremes throughout his career. If the pendulum swings back toward performance this year...  good for Chris Davis...  if not..  he's probably done.

But none of this has anything to do with my point, which is the tendency by some on this forum to personalize their displeasure with Davis' performance, by kicking the man when he's down. I just don't understand that behavior in this case or in any other.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, owknows said:

No...  I don't believe that he did.  He isn't arrogant, he isn't obnoxious, he isn't willfully under-performing... he didn't stick a gun to the Orioles' head and rob them...

He signed a contract that THEY offered him (as any rational human being would have done). And he has failed to live up to the expectations of that contract. But it isn't for lack of effort. He's struggling. And he doesn't know why.

Davis has always been a very streaky hitter..  when he's hot...  he's been a beast...  and when he's cold..  he has been cringe-worthy. It seems like these streaks have been swinging back and forth to wider extremes throughout his career. If the pendulum swings back toward performance this year...  good for Chris Davis...  if not..  he's probably done.

But none of this has anything to do with my point, which is the tendency by some on this forum to personalize their displeasure with Davis' performance, by kicking the man when he's down. I just don't understand that behavior in this case or in any other.

The think with Davis was in his good years, even when he wasn't hitting well, he was still walking and getting on base, so you could put up with the streaky hitting as he was still productive. We fans also get very frustrated as is looks like if he would just bunt the ball down the 3B line, he could be on base every single time. The defense would then have to eventually shift back somewhat to cover that, opening up the field to him again. We are frustrated because it seems as though zero effort has ever been made on his part to learn this skill, to adapt. There are also the rumors that he hasn't been working hard to get back to being a better hitter. I always liked Davis, but he has to be on a very short leash right now. He needs to sit on the bench and become a part time player for however long we keep him on this team.

9 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

There are also the rumors that he hasn't been working hard to get back to being a better hitter. I always liked Davis, but he has to be on a very short leash right now. He needs to sit on the bench and become a part time player for however long we keep him on this team.

Oh, I’d say it’s more of a confirmed fact Davis isn’t putting in enough work.