Chris Davis 2019 and beyond

Camden_yardbird

Interesting bit:

I was listening to Tom Davis and Dave Johnson do their hour-long postgame show on 105.7 The Fan (I listen all the time) and Tom Davis brought up that the line-up was very late coming out today, and that on the pregame show on tv Gary Thorne said that Davis was originally in the line-up for today but that Davis asked to be taken out of the line-up. Then Roch Kubatko during the post-game Manager's presser specifically asked Buck if Davis had been taken out of the line-up because Davis requested it, and Buck replied that Davis had been taken out, but it had been "a Manager's decision."

Tom Davis wondered which was right, and Dave Johnson reminded him that both could be right. That even if Davis had asked to be taken out of the line-up, removing him or not was a Manager's decision.

So, who knows? Maybe this is the start of something brewing.

20 hours ago, 99ct said:

It’ll be interesting for sure. It doesnt seem financially rational for a player to surrender such money. But as this thread points out, Davis is historically bad so somewhere along the lines I suspect he will finally give up. I dont see anyone having the mental toughness to continue this for five years. 

But what about the players association? Would they be cool with a guy giving up guaranteed money? 

The MLBPA can't stop a player from retiring mid-contract.  They can and will fight any attempt by a team to force a player to renegotiate downward mid-contract because that is their primary reason to exist.  

What is interesting would be watching the MLBPA's reaction to a player requesting their blessing to work out a settlement for less than the guaranteed amount.  As far as I know this is uncharted territory, as would be pressuring a player to play in an environment he was no longer comfortable in the name of union solidarity or something like that.

FWIW I don't think it will get to that, but I would like to see a precedent set nonetheless.

6 hours ago, weams said:

Can't imagine Buck was planning to sit Davis down with those stats vs. Sanchez. He must be so lacking in confidence and so depressed he's afraid of batting at all--it's just too humiliating for him to bear.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Part of me just wants to see how bad it can get.  Just a morbid curiosity.  

Keep trotting him out there every day, see how many strikeouts he can rack up, how low that batting average can plummet, see if he can get that OPS to under .400.  

Could it somehow improve TV ratings?  Maybe the O's promotion people can come up with some clever give aways or theme nights to support his historic and record breaking run to shatter the floors of several offensive categories.  Bump those attendance numbers.

15 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Could it somehow improve TV ratings?  Maybe the O's promotion people can come up with some clever give aways or theme nights to support his historic and record breaking run to shatter the floors of several offensive categories.  Bump those attendance numbers.

Maybe after the game we could have fans see if they could strike out Davis.   Like draw 5 fans at random.   Strike out Davis win a prize. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1