How Good

hatter

If they feed Fernando and he is scoring, I could see them in the Sweet 16.  If the opposing team is shutting him down then I can't really see them going past the first weekend.  Otherwise guys are going to have to shoot the three well and limit those dumb turnovers to compete.  

This team goes with Fernando and Cowan to an extent.  If both of those guys are playing well and others (Ayala, Wiggins, Smith, etc.) are contributing then they have Elite 8 potential.  

In 17 seasons of KenPom, only one team has taken exception to this rule: 2014 UConn (36 adj. O, 10 adj. D). And it damn near took Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatright going full God Mode on everyone in the NCAA tournament to get it done.

16 out of 17 seasons, a team with an adjusted offensive efficiency and defensive efficiency ranking inside of the top 20 has won the whole shebang. It’s still a smaller sample size, but it appears that the Ken Pomeroy method works very well.

https://bigredlouie.com/2019/02/20/history-indicator-six-teams-likely-win-national-championship/

Maryland currently 18th https://kenpom.com/index.php

Maybe they will one game but you can't trust a Turgeon-led team in big games and especially big games on the road. Hell, they can't even show up against Penn State. 

I try to enjoy one game at a time and never have any expectations of a Turgeon team. 

This team just can't handle being ranked inside the top 20.  

Too many turnovers. Same old story for this team.  If they could manage to get that under control they COULD be great. 

I haven't watched the whole game, but I've witnessed four turnovers alone on just ill-advised alley-oop attempts. 

On 2/27/2019 at 7:16 PM, Tony-OH said:

Maybe they will one game but you can't trust a Turgeon-led team in big games and especially big games on the road. Hell, they can't even show up against Penn State. 

I try to enjoy one game at a time and never have any expectations of a Turgeon team. 

It's hard to trust him for sure. I can't figure it out. They haven't had this level of talent in their top 8 for a long time though. It could be really fun or it the old ice pick in the eye thing again.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:16 PM, Tony-OH said:

Exactly, you never know which team will show up.

Dang, I sure miss the days of Gary Williams.

On 3/1/2019 at 1:50 PM, sdmarkakis said:

of Gary's 22 years, he only had a better winning percentage than this year's Turgeon team 5 times. That could change for better or worse depending on the rest of the season, but get a grip.

Gary also took over a program that was the worst in the ACC, laughable, how far they have gone down, after Lefty was run out of town for something he had nothing to do with.,

Turgeon sucks, he teases you, and yet, cant win the really big games, and do you honesty think Turgeon could win the final game?

8 minutes ago, sdmarkakis said:

Turgeon also took over a program that sucked, in case you forgot, people wanted Gary out of Maryland BAD. I have no doubt you were one of them. 

Was you really around back in the days before Gary and I would be hard pressed to say it was as bad before Turgeon and it was then. Seriously. Not even sure, there was a worse division 1 program than that one was.

Gary was no saint, but he did a remarkable job completing against the tier 1 teams like Duke, NC, Ky, etc that are able to recruit just based on their name alone.

Yes, some fans were tried of Gary, and it was mostly, what have you done for us lately.

I know Tony has no enduring love of Turgeon, and I am sure, he has an opinion about Maryland before Gary.

@Tony-OH

2013 was the last time a Turgeon team beat a higher seed in either the conference or NCAA tournament or even NIT.  Not a single upset in a big March game since.  That to me is the big difference between Turge and Gary (other than the actual national championship and ACC championship Gary won).  Gary's teams gave you the feeling they could score the huge upset at any time, especially at home.  Turge teams give you confidence that the bigger the game, the more likely it is they will lose.  

I guess the other thing I have noticed is how guys like Cowan and before him Trimble just seemed to get worse on Turge's watch.  By the time Melo left, it felt like his only offensive move was to run into traffic and fling up a wild shot, hoping to get fouled.  His shot disappeared.  Cowan yesterday reminded me of that, and he really does seem to be fading. 

4 minutes ago, sdmarkakis said:

I'm not shitting on Gary. I loved Gary and was sad to see him go despite his recruiting woes. I'm just pointing out facts that you don't like to hear. 

What, you like Turgeon, cool, good for you. He isnt a bad guy.

Sorry, I dont care for his coaching ability, and I dont believe he is the right coach for the Md program.

We are all entitled to our opinion, doesnt make any of us wrong or right.

I suspect there are plenty of people on both sides of this discussion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Turgeon is a great recruiter. Not a good Coach. And can not develop players.

Gary hated recruiting. But he was a great Coach and excellent at developing players.

Be nice to have someone at least proficient at both.

9 hours ago, sdmarkakis said:

No, you missed the point once again. Please stop embarrassing yourself. 

Name me somebody that Turgeon developed while here in his last 8 seasons and is playing in the NBA, and productive.

When the NCAA tournament is over, we will shall how well Turgeon coaches them and how far they get in the tournament.

Oh yeah, thats right, we dont even know yet, if they will get a chance to play in the Tourney.

Archived