Evan Phillips deserves a bullpen spot

wildcard

He looked like a fresh arm. His fastball had life. It looks like 3.0 IP passed 2.1 IP has his longest outing in the majors. So he gets credit for that. 

So two thoughts,

I think this was some of the “upside” we hoped to see from Phillips last year after we acquired him, but he struggle. IIRC, he had a good ST. 

How many days off does he need after throwing 3.0 IP?  For a bullpen that it’s already looking like guys are burnt and/or struggling, I say thanks Evan and fire up that shuttle. 

On 3/24/2019 at 6:08 AM, wildcard said:

This guy does not get talked about much, but all he does is put up zeros.

He has now pitched 9.67 scoreless innings in ST, and struck out 10.

The 24 year-old from Salisbury MD had a very good season at AAA-Gwinnett and AAA-Norfolk last season ........ he pitched 51.33 innings, and only allowed 34 hits while striking 72, and putting up at 2.28 ERA.

He came to the Orioles in the Gausman deal last season ........ this guys needs to be in the Orioles' bullpen. He has earned it.

On 4/9/2019 at 9:08 PM, OFFNY said:

o

EVAN JOHN PHILLIPS )))))) (vs. ATHLETICS, 4/09)

3 lll Innings Pitched (Bullpen)

0 lll Runs

1 llHit (1 Single)

1 lll Walk

4 lll Strikeouts

48 llPitches ) (33 )Strikes, )15 )Balls)

o

o

(vs. RED SOX, 4/14)

Phillips pitched another good game today, albeit in a shorter outing this time.

He essentially got 4 outs in the one inning that he pitched, due to Richie Martin throwing the ball away on what would have been the 3rd out of the inning ........ he then proceeded to come back from a 3-0 count to strike out Eduardo Nunez, picking up his teammate and ending the threat.

o

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(JUNE 14th)

Evan Phillips has been optioned to AAA-Norfolk.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/1139592561218244608

o

5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Demoted for Luis Ortiz. That has to sting a bit, I think.

o

And Ortiz appears to be starting tonight's game, in place of the blister-fingered Andrew Cashner.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/roster/probable-pitchers

o

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Philip said:

Deck chair replacing deck chair

I am not sure about that.   Elias is searching for starters to fill out the rotation behind Means, Bundy and Cobb next season until the Bowie crowd is ready hopefully at mid season.      Blach and Shepard are the latest two starter candidates.  I think they get time in the rotation for a while.  Brooks, Ynoa, Eshelman move to the pen for now.

More waiver wire claims are no doubt in the O's future.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not sure about that.   Elias is searching for starters to fill out the rotation behind Means, Bundy and Cobb next season until the Bowie crowd is ready hopefully at mid season.      Blach and Shepard are the latest two starter candidates.  I think they get time in the rotation for a while.  Brooks, Ynoa, Eshelman move to the pen for now.

More waiver wire claims are no doubt in the O's future.

That's cute you think Cobb will pitch. He'll get a hangnail is his first spring training start and end up missing the entire 2020 season. The starting rotation situation is so unstable, I wouldn't even bank on Bundy and Means.

I would look at bringing Cashner back on a one year deal assuming his troubles in Boston aren't health related. I'm interested in seeing what Elias does to get the starting rotation through the 2020 season. Plus how Elias proceeds after spending a year in the organization. 

22 minutes ago, Philip said:

Deck chair replacing deck chair

You wanted "anyone" called up. Shepherd has never thrown a pitch in the majors. What are you complaining about exactly? Deck chair replacing deck chair? How would that be different in this case if it was anyone else? We're calling up a guy who has never thrown a pitch and that's your response? You don't really know what you want, do you?

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

...the rotation behind Means, Bundy and Cobb next season until the Bowie crowd is ready hopefully at mid season.

Means is by no means a lock for any rotation spot. He has not been good in three of his last four outings, so let's see if he can regain his previous form before we start naming him as a 2020 starter. Bundy may not be here. Cobb? Yeah... Also, the Bowie crowd will not be ready mid season next year; 2021 is the year for those guys. They will, under no circumstances, be rushed and we are not actively trying to win games. Not this year, not next year and probably not 2021 either. That's a long way off still.