2019 AAA-Norfolk Tides

OFFNY

2 hours ago, Spl51 said:

There are people who still care that we traded Mike Yastrzemski for Tyler Herb? My god, I don't know what to say.

Not my main point, as Frobby said, but when you see Yaz playing for the Giants and Herb giving up seven runs in three innings at Norfolk it made me think of it. Sorry it was so upsetting for you.

• 1 month later...

Wanted to post this somewhere now that the final numbers are in, figured this thread was good enough. AAA home runs were up 57 percent this season.

The IL average OPS jumped from .709 to .787, runs per game jumped from 4.16 to 5.15.

I wonder if the MLB ball will get unjuiced next season.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Wanted to post this somewhere now that the final numbers are in, figured this thread was good enough. AAA home runs were up 57 percent this season.

The IL average OPS jumped from .709 to .787, runs per game jumped from 4.16 to 5.15.

I would think it has to be de-juiced next season.  

7 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I know Keegan Akin's surface stats seemed meh, but this inspired me to take my first look at the IL pitching leaders for the season and it appears he finished 6th in the league in ERA.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=l_pit&lid=117

Just using the 2018/2017 links off that page, last year's 6th place ERA was 2.87, 2017's was 3.03.  I knew the home runs were flying out, but don't think I'd gotten as far in my thinking that a 4.75 in AAA this year is....not too bad.

9 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I know Keegan Akin's surface stats seemed meh, but this inspired me to take my first look at the IL pitching leaders for the season and it appears he finished 6th in the league in ERA.

Just using the 2018/2017 links off that page, last year's 6th place ERA was 2.87, 2017's was 3.03.  I knew the home runs were flying out, but don't think I'd gotten as far in my thinking that a 4.75 in AAA this year is....not too bad.

Yeah, it's an important thing to consider, especially when comparing him to the guys pitching at Bowie. I've mentioned this in various threads throughout the year in regards to Akin. The Eastern League played as a very pitcher-friendly league, to the point that Rylan Bannon's .740 OPS in Bowie had the same wRC+ (120) as his .893 OPS in Norfolk.

51 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

To say he finished 6th in the league in ERA is a bit misleading.   I think only 15 pitchers threw enough innings in the IL to qualify, a function of the fact that many pitchers there shuttle back and forth to the majors.     He had a 4.73 ERA in a league with a 4.89 ERA.     So, he was a hair better than average, but not a lot.    And his best pitching was in April/May when he pitched to a 3.70 ERA; for the remainder of the year he ballooned to 5.51.    Overall, I consider his year to be pretty disappointing.    He did lead the league in strikeouts, but he also led in walks and had many short starts.   

I’ll say this: I believe the O’s had him working on his secondary stuff all year, and that will explain some of the deterioration in his numbers.    There’s a decent chance that will pay dividends down the road.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll say this: I believe the O’s had him working on his secondary stuff all year, and that will explain some of the deterioration in his numbers.    There’s a decent chance that will pay dividends down the road.   

I watched more than half of his starts and yes he was throwing offspeed stuff in fastball counts more often, which inflated the walk count and probably shortened some starts. 

But I really didn't see any improvement in the quality or command of his slider or changeup. They were both previously effective pitches when he got ahead in counts and they continued to be. He can miss bats effectively with all three pitches, which is his strongest feature on the mound. 

His results seemed to mirror his velocity. When he was carrying good stuff (93-94, above average slider, the slider's quality seems to be intimately connected to arm speed), he was very good. When he didn't (89-92, fringe to average slider), he struggled. His velocity seemed to come and go throughout the season, it didn't seem to be a mechanical issue, perhaps something with his preparation, conditioning. He looked as fit as I'd seen him in April, but appeared to get noticeably softer as the season progressed. 

On 7/24/2019 at 8:43 PM, Spl51 said:

There are people who still care that we traded Mike Yastrzemski for Tyler Herb? My god, I don't know what to say.

It wasn't my main point at the time, but what is so outrageous about being unhappy we gave up Yaz for a bad AAA pitcher?