Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

15 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Totally disagree with comments that imply that promotions should be age-based.  If GrayRod is ready for High A ball, then he should be promoted.  If Rom is ready for High A, then he should be promoted. 

Many folks seems to have this 'progress a level a year' attitude and seem one million percent oblivious to the actual quality of the prospect.  I remember when Machado was promoted (and deservedly so) to the Os at his young age and there were comments in threads that Manny needed to finish the year at AA and spend most of the next year at AAA and blah, blah, blah, blah.  Some armchair GMs here if their scouting director selected Clayton Kershaw out of high school wouldn't get him to the major until 21 or 22. 

Rom and GrayRod are both putting up promotion-worthy results.  If the reports on their stuff match their results, then they should be considered for promotion IMO.  I realize the organization might have some other goals/priorities related to increasing pitch counts, working deeper into games, innings targets and other, but if the stuff and results play then promotions should be merit-based IMO.

Fine with me to promote guys when they’re ready regardless of age.   We had no problem promoting Bundy from low A to hi A to AA to the majors, all at age 19.  

By the same token, it’s easier to err on the side of patience when you have guys who don’t need to be on the 40-man roster until after the 2022 season.    By comparison, guys like Sedlock and Peralta need to be protected after this season, so there’s some imperative to push them along to see if they’re worth protecting.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, hoosiers said:

Nice comments on GrayRod. Totally disagree with comments that imply that promotions should be age-based.  If GrayRod is ready for High A ball, then he should be promoted.  If Rom is ready for High A, then he should be promoted. 

Many folks seems to have this 'progress a level a year' attitude and seem one million percent oblivious to the actual quality of the prospect.  I remember when Machado was promoted (and deservedly so) to the Os at his young age and there were comments in threads that Manny needed to finish the year at AA and spend most of the next year at AAA and blah, blah, blah, blah.  Some armchair GMs here if their scouting director selected Clayton Kershaw out of high school wouldn't get him to the major until 21 or 22. 

Rom and GrayRod are both putting up promotion-worthy results.  If the reports on their stuff match their results, then they should be considered for promotion IMO.  I realize the organization might have some other goals/priorities related to increasing pitch counts, working deeper into games, innings targets and other, but if the stuff and results play then promotions should be merit-based IMO.

I think its interesting that GrayRod threw 100 pitches in his last start.  I think that hints he'll be promoted quickly through the organization.  Why have him waste 100 pitch outings just mowing down hitters in Low A?  They may decide at some point that his stuff will play anywhere and promote him accordingly. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Fine with me to promote guys when they’re ready regardless of age.   We had no problem promoting Bundy from low A to hi A to AA to the majors, all at age 19.  

By the same token, it’s easier to err on the side of patience when you have guys who don’t need to be on the 40-man roster until after the 2022 season.    By comparison, guys like Sedlock and Peralta need to be protected after this season, so there’s some imperative to push them along to see if they’re worth protecting.

Sure.  Like I posted - "I realize the organization might have some other goals/priorities related to increasing pitch counts, working deeper into games, innings targets and other".  Other would include things like future 40 man roster issues, guys who signed major league deals, keeping a prospect at a level he is dominating to increase trade value, keeping a prospect at a level to participate in minor league playoff games and more, 

Everyone has games like this and this sounds like an excuse, but it had been 8 days between starts. He has gone 7 days between starts, it seems, a few other times. That has to be tough to find a rhythm. I'm sure he has pitched much more regularly his entire life.  I know they want to limit innings, but I would prefer they just shut him down a little early than go a week between starts.

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

Everyone has games like this and this sounds like an excuse, but it had been 8 days between starts. He has gone 7 days between starts, it seems, a few other times. That has to be tough to find a rhythm. I'm sure he has pitched much more regularly his entire life.  I know they want to limit innings, but I would prefer they just shut him down a little early than go a week between starts.

I agree. 7 to 8 days between starts is ridiculous.

This is usually around the time you see the zcollege or high school guys in their first full season have a little tired arm and struggle for a bit.   Knights velocity was down last two starts probably seeing same thing.  The first full season is rough on pitching prospects they are not use to workload giving him extra day or two between starts might not be worst thing in long run.  

• Upvote 1

Rodriguez has pitched 48 innings this season. I'm guessing he threw a lot more than that in every year of baseball since Little League.

I'm guessing Knight threw more innings in the SEC. I looked the other day and Delmarva didn't have anyone in the top 20 in the league in innings pitched. I guess you could say it has worked so far though.

On 5/30/2019 at 8:48 AM, Frobby said:

This is a good point and why I'd like to see them challenged a bit here soon with promotions.

5 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

He pitched Tuesday, think he starts Sunday? Think the family was going and hoping to get a look see at Grayson.

I think he is listed for Tuesday - a week between starts seems about normal for him this season.

• Thanks 1